Tortilla Shells - Favorite things to fill them with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adias.angel

Assistant Cook
Hi All!
I am new here but I was hoping that you wouldn't mind sharing some of your favorite fillings for tortilla shells.

Here is the deal - we are currently planning a party (aka at-home reception) for about 90 people next month. We are trying to do small portions of a variety of foods (similar to the idea of a tapas restaurant). Lots of littler things that equal a full meal.

We would like to do something like the photo below but are stuck on what to fill the shells with. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!! =)

Carla%252BChris_W_0397.jpg

We go to Mexico a lot. Some of our faves are shrimp, fish chunks, Al Pastor (beef and pork mix with spices and marinated), mixed seafood . You might pick up a fave Mexican restaurant menu and get some ideas. A build your own taco bar with different salsas and condiments: Queso Fresco, crema, cilantro, jalapenos and other different sliced fresh and pickle peppers, pickled radishes and onions, shredded lettuce, refried, black, and pinto beans, pickled cactus pads, sliced olives, conch, calimari, ceviche, you get the idea.

Sounds like fun!

Last edited:
Also, chorizo, shredded chicken, minced steak, the possibilities are indeed endless!

I love the real Al Pastor in Mexico. If you found a way to make that authentically it would be a real esoteric thing to do for your party (which sounds amazing btw - who needs a meal when you can just have a variety of finger foods?). But if you have a party with that many people you might just want to go with a spiced ground beef and cheese. If you don't mind spending a little more then I think shrimp are almost universally appreciated at a party (I know I follow the server around who has them!). Little shrimp taquitos would likely be a big hit!

Now, besides those rolled up tortillas another cool thing in Mexico are these baby tortilla sized tacos (often used with Al Pastor) that are about half the size of a typical tortilla and make for great little taco apps. Not sure where you can get the tortillas except if you made them yourself they'd be even better. I haven't done that (but will soon) however I can't imagine it's too difficult - just time consuming. The little tacos tortillas are about the size of a gyoza wrapper... another fun thing to make for a party would be gyozas if you wanted to mix up the cuisine. Have fun!

Thank you both so much!!!

Now, besides those rolled up tortillas another cool thing in Mexico are these baby tortilla sized tacos (often used with Al Pastor) that are about half the size of a typical tortilla and make for great little taco apps.

I did some quick searching and it looks like they are hard to find mass produced so the only option would be to make our own ahead of time. I am really loving this idea!

Flour tortillas are not hard to make if you grew up making lefse <g>. The corn ones need the appropriate flour. I can't get that here--I buy it whenever I go to MN--just keep it in the freezer because it can get buggy. Almost anything goes...deep-fried walleye would be nice (or baked...) and probably local...

Back
Top Bottom