"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have a tiny bottle from Harvey Nics, it was expensive but erm , just not sure what to do with it. Part of my buy now think later shopping strategy . Durr .

Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow. View Post
Well. There is NO such thing as "real" truffle oil. It's all olive or possibly some other oil with 2,4-dithiapentane. Someone may squeeze truffles they find onto their own dishes, but it's certainly not sold on any scale, anywhere.

So regardless of the amount, price, or location of purchase, it's basically the same thing.

You can get some quart containers (very expensively) of truffle oil from a few retailers. They're probably $100 or more though.

Truffle Oil, Bulk Truffle Oil, Buy Truffle Oil :: Purchase Truffle Oil Online $200 a gallon. Then probably $50 for shipping.

Sorry, but you are wrong about this.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

I never said anything about Mexico, big chunks or being cheap.

I'm talking about whole black truffles packed in olive oil. Can't fake that.
That still isn't 100% truffle oil like OP was talking about, although it is olive oil naturally infused with truffle flavor. I can't imagine truffles being pressed to make 100% truffle oil either. Although ALL truffle oil being some kind of artificially flavored oil doesn't make sense to me either. Like you said, truffles packed in oil would create a kind of truffle oil.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Yes olive oil, truffle oil is an infused oil as fungi doesn't produce oil. Not arguing, just pointing out your mistake in claiming there is no such thing as truffle oil.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Much trimming of content here. Back to a discussion on truffle oil.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow. View Post
How would you compare suffle tralt to truffle oil? Is it worth $15 for a jar of it? Is just a pinch on some fresh french fries good or would you have to use it for things that require salt in the cooking like soups and stews?
The truffle oil was essentially useless, just expensive (and probably inferior) olive oil. The salt lends a definite truffle aroma. Not like working with actual truffles, but authentically truffle aroma. I use it as a finishing salt on things where the aroma is appropriate and when it will not be overpowered. Because it happens that this isn't all that frequent for me, I don't mind the price. But it's not so wonderful that I'd miss it much.

Tags
oil