Trying to find out what this is called, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa123

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone the other day I was at a party and there was a great dish there that I loved but im stumped on what it is .I thought I might need some expert help so here goes .

It was made out of round bb shape pasta looked like it was baked with maby egg mixed in it had pepperoni on top and was crispy .It was almost like keish but firmer .I know this is a long shot and seems stupid but I figured its worth a shot.

img_642594_0_7de0fa3c2a5417db1d527bb83845a5d3.jpg

If it looked like this than it's a spaghetti pie. I don't think frittata has pasta in it.

As for the pasta - if it was small and round like bb's it could have been acini di pepe ("peppercorn") - or if it was a little oval like a very small grain of rice it was probably orzo ("barley").

The dish could have been an orzo frittata (chicken and orzo frittata) or an orzo casserole (one of these might give you some ideas) - which if you brown the top under the broiler it would be like a frittata.

ok not it I talked to the person who dates the woman who made it,hese a real jerk and wont tell me 4 no other reason but to b a jerk .It was
acini di pepe pasta in it .Its hard to explain ,it was very gresy and was cut up into littel 12 inch squares that held there shape perfectly.Im so frustrated .I would have to say it was almost 90 percent acini di pepe but I got no clue what holds it together.

ok not it I talked to the person who dates the woman who made it,hese a real jerk and wont tell me 4 no other reason but to b a jerk .It was
acini di pepe pasta in it .Its hard to explain ,it was very gresy and was cut up into littel 12 inch squares that held there shape perfectly.Im so frustrated .I would have to say it was almost 90 percent acini di pepe but I got no clue what holds it together.

wat

Yea sorry my son was pulling at my leg here it is again without the typos

Ok, not it. I talked to the person who dates the woman who made it,hes a real jerk and wont tell me 4 no other reason but to b a jerk .It was
acini di pepe pasta in it .Its hard to explain ,it was very greasy and was cut up into Little 2 inch squares that held there shape perfectly.I'm so frustrated .I would have to say it was almost 90 percent acini di pepe but I got no clue what holds it together.

From your descriptions (reminded you of quiche, held its shape when cut)the only thing I can think of, for the binder, would be egg. The egg could have had a little milk, or cream, or ricotta cheese mixed in with it. The greasy part probably came from the pepperoni on top.

From your descriptions (reminded you of quiche, held its shape when cut)the only thing I can think of, for the binder, would be egg. The egg could have had a little milk, or cream, or ricotta cheese mixed in with it. The greasy part probably came from the pepperoni on top.

Michael; you are almost astounding with your cullinary knowledge. Good job. I've never seen the pasta shape sold around here and so am unfamiliar with it. I do believe I cold duplicate it easily enough with other minute pasta shapes, like the tiny stars in my pasta cupboard. And I agree that egg mixed with cream or milk would be the binder, although sprinkling a bit of cornstarch into the cooked pasta before baking could have the same effect, but not as good a flavor.

Again, great job, my freind. You da man!:cool:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I was married to a Brooklyn-Italian, who learned how to cook from her off-the-boat Dad and Uncles, for 4 years. :LOL:

I just remembered the pasta shape - I had to go look it up to get the name ...

Last edited:
Goodweed if I have acini de pepe in the middle of NOWHERE bland-land, I'd bet you have to have it somewhere!
If not I'll send you some!

You've got to love it ... I was looking up the name for small star pasta and ran across this list of pasta shapes. (scroll down to the Micro Pasta section)

So - small round pasta could be: acini de pepe, fregula, pastina, or pearl pasta.

For this recipe - I don't see why stars (stelle) or litle stars (stelline) wouldn't work - so would orzo, risoni, or risi.

All these names for pasta ... the subtle little differences ... arrgh!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom