Using spices to make dips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamlet_cat

Assistant Cook
Most of the recipes I have call for garlic gloves and although I like the taste of garlic I am getting bored with garlic flavoured dips. I am thinking of dips for chips and veggies. Are there any combinations of dry spices that go well together to make interesting an flavoured dip that don't require using garlic?

With what base?

Cream cheese with onion powder, paprika and salt.

Cream cheese with parsley, lemon, black pepper.

Mayo with ground coriander, cumin and chilli.

Mayo with crushed black pepper and a dash of lemon.

Mayo with a dash of curry powder.

I could go on all day but I need your base?
Welcome to DC by the way :)

Thanks.

Usually I use a pureed cottage cheese or greek yogurt, and then to up the fat content, I might add either cream cheese or sour cream.

I also like celery seed or flakes with cottage cheese, chives with sour cream, chicken spice is also pretty good for savoury dips, basil and thyme make a good mayonnaise.

The possibilities are endless, I suggest you taste your spice and see what works for you.
You can add dried herbs, fresh is better though.

Oregano is good added to dips in dry form.
Hope these suggestions help!

Tehina is a great dip for veggies and easy to make; hummus also but that has garlic, muhamarra (sp?) I think would be different if your in the mood.

I love curry powder with sour cream or greek yogurt. Add some chopped green onions or chives, some fresh cilantro, and a bit of lime zest. I can eat this with chips or veggies.

I quite often use dry herbs and spices to make tasty dips. I am quite fond of Dean Jacob's bread dipping seasoning ( I have found them online). The first time I found them in a Ross Department Store of course that is just here in the US and is probably regional. The other herb combo I like is available at Costco it is called Organic no-salt Seasoning. Another one is Spike (a no salt herb veggie seasoning) Sometimes I just use whatever dry herbs and spices go together and add some salt and pepper. I usually use sour cream and mayo as a base, but cottage cheese or cream cheese are good too. I make a southwestern dressing that we use in taco salad, by mixing 1/2 sour cream and half mayo with a couple of tablespoons if jarred salsa and a couple of tablespoons of Taco seasoning mix. If you add some grated cheddar it makes a good dip. :)

Mrs. Dash makes for a good dip , too. You can use any favorite dip base for it. I like it best with sour cream or greek yogurt. Just make sure you make it up at least a couple hours before so the herbs can rehydrate.

Back
Top Bottom