Veal, fettucini, bechamel, bacon, spinach, tomato sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ottenm

Assistant Cook
I'm paging through my favorite recipes, trying to pick the top of the top for Father's Day (tomorrow). I can't tell if I'm on crack here, and just going to end up with too many colors all turning brown with heart disease.

Can I do this flavor-wise?

Breaded veal strips tossed in a tomato sauce with spinach. Not tossed like a salad, I just thought it sounded good.

And next to that, a white bechamel sauce (that includes some bacon) over expensive imported fettuccine noodles that were on clearance!

It all sounds great to me. But when I google for a recipe with all the ingredients, the results are all menus for Italian restaurants. ;)

Thanks for any opinions and/or hints/suggestions.

Mike

I'd bread the veal strips and fry them. Then make an Alfredo sauce using butter, cream and parm cheese. Serve the pasta tossed with the Alfredo sauce and the veal along side. A crisp Caesar salad will make a great meal.

You can add some crispy bacon pieces to the Alfredo.

I'd bread the veal strips and fry them. Then make an Alfredo sauce using butter, cream and parm cheese. Serve the pasta tossed with the Alfredo sauce and the veal along side. A crisp Caesar salad will make a great meal.

You can add some crispy bacon pieces to the Alfredo.

That sounds delicious :yum:

it could work. i like andy's idea of adding a green salad to complete the colours of the italian flag; something that restaurants like to do in a hokey kind of way.

i would bread the veal, but don't pound the meat too thin. lots of restaurants make their veal and chicken so thin that there's an equal amount or more of breading as there is veal. you want to taste the veal, not just breading. in order to make a thicker piece really tender, just jaccard it (stab it with a fork dozens of times), then do the breading. just fry it quickly in evoo, but try not to cook it through. it will finish cooking in later stages and with residual heat.

i'd then ladel some simple marinara sauce (just pureed tomatoes and fresh basil that's been simmered for a short time so as to keep it bright will do) in a heat proof dish, and gently place the breaded veal on top, then place a layer of prosciutto on the veal, then some spinach that has been wilted in a garlic infused evoo on top of that, then some mozarella cheese. but not too much.

place it under a broiler for just a minute or so to melt the cheese and finish cooking the veal through.

it's sort of a version of veal sorrentino, but subbing spinach for the more classic layer of eggplant.

you can serve your linguini tossed with the bacon and bechamel on the side, along with the other side of a simply dressed (evoo, red wine vinegar, and s&p) green salad.

and there you go: red, white, and green. viva italia!

Last edited:
Thanks a *million* all around. Tried to do as many of the suggestions as possible, and the meal was a huge hit.

Thank you for your help.

Peace!

Back
Top Bottom