Weird foods from your childhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Whenever my parents went out, my brother and I demanded that our supper menu was this:
saltine crackers
spinach (canned)
hard-boiled eggs
sardines

To this day, I cannot stomach sardines, but my favorite snacks are definitely hard-boiled eggs and saltine crackers (buttered). Although, smoked oysters are a close second. What weird foods (this is definitely a weird diet) did you request when the babysitter took care of you?

K.

This wasn't a babysitter thing but often on Saturday mornings, we kids would get up, watch cartoons while lying on the floor eating saltines with butter while Mom and Dad slept in.

This wasn't a babysitter thing but often on Saturday mornings, we kids would get up, watch cartoons while lying on the floor eating saltines with butter while Mom and Dad slept in.

We only got that when we went out for dinner...it was a BIG draw.

We never had babysitters, but I used to eat ketchup or mustard sandwiches. Or a butter and sugar sandwich.:pig:

I didn't learn about saltines and butter until high school. It was offered as one of the items you could purchase in the cafeteria, a plate of saltines and a couple pats of butter. Good stuff.
I don't think I ate anything weird when I was young. Not weird to me anyway, lol.

Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches. For some reason, I thought everyone ate those growing up...maybe that's a northern MN thing? (This is not what I would call a "weird" food, this is a comfort food that I still eat every now and then, only now it is organic peanut butter and homemade dills <g>).

I used to love spaghetti with ketchup as a kid.

I remember crushing up ribbon candy and stirring it in a glass of water until it all dissolved to make be a drink.

Sis and I used to fight over the turkey and chicken gizzards, livers, hearts and necks that Mom used to boil to make broth.

Fried spaghetti with ketchup. The kids in the family with whom I lived when I was an exchange student in Germany introduced me to that. I'm getting hungry <g>.

Mine is also not a babysitter thing, but a couple of the things I loved when I was a kid were spaghetti sandwiches (left over cold spaghetti on cheap white bread) and refried bean sandwiches. I also liked to eat left over cornbread with sugar and milk on it, like cold cereal. Another, which I still like occasionally, is peanut butter and jam sandwiches using left over pancakes as the bread.

:)Barbara

I never had a babysitter, but at PJ parties my friends and I tried odd stuff like - chocolate chip cookies and ketchup, or watermelon and spaghetti sauce. somebody tried mustard in coca cola, but that made her upchuck - good times, good times.

I also ate sugar sandwiches or pickle sandwiches as a kid.

mmm, a slice of bread, some peanut butter and sugar sprinkled on top. Eaten open faced. Back when kids were allowed to eat sugar and drink real pop.

mmm, a slice of bread, some peanut butter and sugar sprinkled on top. Eaten open faced. Back when kids were allowed to eat sugar and drink real pop.
When I was around 13-14 I did a few odd jobs for a nice couple at their tiny mom & pop store on the corner. I can't remember if they paid me money or in goods, but I always left with a bottle of Dr. Pepper and a package of Suzie-Q's. Wow, the memories that just flooded back!

:)Barbara

I used to take empty pop bottles to a local mom and pop and would leave with Coke and Pixie Sticks :LOL:
Back when Coke could take the rust off your pocketknife :rolleyes:

no baby sitter here either. a friend and i would always make grilled cheese when we were together. the twist? we brushed the bread with evaporated milk and put under the broiler. we would keep brushing, turning over and so on til a nice crusty coating on the sandwich. we loved it.

My mom use to feed us pepper and eggs sandwiches when peppers were in season.

I spent half a year in Denmark when I was 5. In nursery school I would occasionally have an open faced chocolate sandwich on heavy rye bread. It was chocolate specifically for sandwiches :D

Sometimes as a snack, I have another Danish standby: lard or bacon fat on heavy Danish rye with salt and pepper.

Back
Top Bottom