"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-28-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by JMediger
Ok, now I have a question for you, UAflyer ... do you have to prepare the dishes and take them to the party OR are you all making one dish there to "judge" OR ... ? This sounds like a really cool get together idea but with only one range / oven ...? How are you doing it?
there are a few other people on my team, there are 5 teams total, and there is a panel of "judges" (the top bosses =D) and we have a food prep room at our place, with stations that has a range, oven, sink, etc...

UAflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef
This is an interesting site for ideas using a few ingredients called Cheap Eats. They come up with a breakdown of the costs, as well. I'm a big pasta fan so... I would make pasta with tomatoes onions cheese oil and garlic (if you have some) and any green veggie to add in. Just noticed you have chicken - broil it w lemon juice, butter, s&p, shred it and toss it in with the pasta or as the main dish.

Here's a little sample:
Quick Basil and Tomato Pasta
1/2 box Barilla pasta — $0.50
Basil, cut in a chiffonade — Free, hopefully
6 cloves garlic, slivered or minced — $0.10
Olive oil (1-2 tbsp) — $0.10
1 Can Petite Diced Tomatoes — $0.45
Parmesan cheese (1/4 oz of $3.50 8oz can) — $0.11
1 tsp of dried oregano — $0.05
pinch of red pepper flakes — $0.02
1 tbsp sugar — $0.02
salt, pepper — negligible
Total: $1.35

Start boiling a lot of water in a big pot for the pasta. Wash the basil, remove stems so there are only the leaves. Set aside. Peel and mince (or sliver if desired) all 6 garlic cloves. In a skillet, heat up 1 tbsp of the olive oil (extra virgin olive oil tastes best) over medium heat for a minute or so. Add the oregano (if dried, roll between fingers to release more flavor), garlic, red pepper flakes and a few grinds of black pepper to the oil and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Don’t let the garlic and oregano burn, turn the heat down if needed.
Open up the can of tomatoes and add it to the pan, along with the liquid from the tomatoes. Add the sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-20 minutes. Depends on how blended you like your sauce. Meanwhile, add thin spaghetti to boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain pasta in collander, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
Now cut up your basil. Add pasta, cooking water, and remaining olive oil to sauce in pan and toss to coat. Add salt, pepper to taste. Serve in plate topped with parmesan cheese and basil.

Unless you happen to have an herb garden with fresh basil (and maybe even oregano), you’ll have to buy your herbs and this can be quite expensive. As such, I don’t make this unless I happen to have bought basil from a previous recipe or have gotten it from someone else’s garden.

To cut basil in a chiffonade, what you need to do is take 3 leaves or so of basil and roll it up. With a sharp knife cut the roll as thin as you can. Rolling it first is easier than trying to sliver a basil leaf when it’s flat. You should end up with slivers of basil.
I like using Petite Diced Tomatoes in any recipe that calls for diced tomatoes in a pasta sauce. They just seem to be the exact right size for sauce… cooking them for awhile makes them break down just a bit so the sauce is chunky yet homogeneous. Of course, there are those who do the whole roma tomato ice bath method to peel the skins, but I find it’s so much easier and cheaper to use canned.
For more flavor, you can add butter in place of some of the olive oil. I like to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil because it makes it taste sort of fruity and fragrant. It’s especially good when you add a little olive oil straight to your finished pasta dish, because it helps to sort of coat the noodles.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
hey, thanks mish! i think i will continue to use that cheapeats site long after this iron chef deal. very interesting, and so easy! mmm.. i love pasta too.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Head of Lettuce
I think that I would make some savoury crepes as a starter with the milk, eggs, butter, oil (I make my crepes with a mix of melted butter and oil, usually) and flour (salt and sugar being optional). I would fry up the onions and tomatoes with salt and pepper (and if you have any some oregano, basil and garlic) and roll that up in the finished crepes (cheese here is optional). That would be the starter.

For the main course I'd make a roux from some flour and butter, and make a cheese sauce with the milk and cheese (asuming it was a type that lent itself to a cheese sauce ), to which I'd add some cooked chicken meat and peppers. Season to taste and serve over top of the pasta, with a little bit of finely shredded lettuce over top (I know it sounds kooky, but it's actually good!)

BTY - Welcome to DC UAflyer

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by UAflyer
· Flour
· Pasta
· Chicken
· Eggs
· Oil
· Butter
· Head of Lettuce
· Cheese
· Milk
· Sugar
· Salt
· Pepper
· Onions
· Tomatoes
Chicken - Use the breasts, butterfly or cut a pocket, fill with chopped tomatoes, onions, cheese & s&p to taste, dip in egg, roll in seasoned bread crumbs (didn't see bread, but hoping) and bake on a baking sheet at about 350 till done and juices run clear. (Or pound them flat, add filling, roll em up, secure with picks). Serve with pasta (evoo, garlic S&P).

Stuffed Tomatoes - Not sure what kind of pasta, but if it is a small macaroni/orzo-type, etc. - Hollow out tomatoes, drain on paper towels, prepare pasta, drain, add cheese, butter s & p, (diced onions opt.), stuff tomatoes and bake till cheese is bubbly and heated thru.

Still thinking.

AND Welcome to DC.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:13 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
thanks for all your help guys. well, our team didnt come in first, but second?
the secret ingredient was pineapples. but, we just decided to cook some pasta up, a cheese sauce and then grilled chicken kabobs with girlled onions, tomatos, and pineapple on the side. we also cooked the pasta with some pineapple juice --- just so pineapple was somwhere in there. and a salad on the side. then for dessert, we made cookies and pineapple dipped in chocolate with some paprika. now that i think about it, could of made a pineapple upside cake, but i didnt know how to prepare a simple cake batter.
i wanted to make a pineapple salsa, but we didnt have all o the ingredients.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #17
Executive Chef
That was fun. Sorry you lost though. Give us another?