"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Nice replies guys, thanks...

I know we are all in different positions, I try to make as much as I can, but the 3 things I listed are the items that often get the best of me... Thats what I meant in the question...
__________________

__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
Nice replies guys, thanks...

I know we are all in different positions, I try to make as much as I can, but the 3 things I listed are the items that often get the best of me... Thats what I meant in the question...
Now I understand.

For me, no matter how hard I try, my homemade chicken broth will never taste as good as Swanson's canned chicken broth. That's ok with me.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
Is there anything that you can make in your kitchen but buy it made instead? For me its croissants, I can make them and they honestly come better in my kitchen than the ones I buy from the bakery and market{probably because they are hot out of the oven}... But its one of the things I HATE making, and out of the say 30 batches I have done in my life, I have destroyed and discarded at least 4 of them.
The last time I made them my wife made me promise not to make them anymore, I was sitting on the kitchen floor punching a zip lock bag full of dough with butter in my hair, that led to a crying shower scene

So whats your white whale, you would love to make but hate making it?

PS a close second is Baklava {same scene as above except honey in my hair}

Close third is sfogliatella {probably spelt that wrong}...

To add insult to injury all 3 of them items are on my 10 top favorite foods list too...
Mayonnaise. Not so much that I don't like making it but I'm a bit of a philistine and prefer Helmans' Light mayo to the real McCoy.

I buy ready rolled pastry from the supermarket because I am USELESS at all forms of pastry and hate making it. Someone once told me that you need cold hands and a warm heart to make pastry and that I must have warm hands and a cold heart.

Oddly though, I enjoy making croissants and I'm good at it.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #14
Sous Chef
 
menumaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 588
Pastry, both shortcrust and flaky. I do make my own rich flan pastry though because I enjoy squishing the egg, butter and sugar into the flour on the worktop!!
Also buy Knorr roast chicken stock jellies for gravy. The stock from the carcass is never around long enough as that becomes soup ASAP, just love it.
__________________
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #15
Sous Chef
 
menumaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 588
Oh Yes, I forgot Mayonnaise as well MC. I knew a brilliant chef once who had a customer complain of an upset stomach after eating a meal in the restaurant who put it down to raw eggs in the mayo. Although it was never proven ( and no-one else complained) my friend never took to chance again and always served Hellmans after that.
__________________
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Wyshiepoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 180
Pasta. I have the Kenwood Chef so can make my own, but it can be such a pain to make from scratch and if you are already committed to cooking something with pasta the extra time to also make your pasta can mean you hardly h=get out of the kitchen.


As to ready made pasta sauces etc. I think they are great. We have a shelf in our pull out pantry thing that we call our 'emergency shelf'.


When short of time we get a jar or packet out of there and knock something up quick. What I do like doing is adding to the jar/packet to jazz it up a bit.


Puff pastry and filo I buy ready made but I do like to make my own shortcrust.
__________________
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our life sublime.
Wyshiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
Pasta. I have the Kenwood Chef so can make my own, but it can be such a pain to make from scratch and if you are already committed to cooking something with pasta the extra time to also make your pasta can mean you hardly h=get out of the kitchen.


As to ready made pasta sauces etc. I think they are great. We have a shelf in our pull out pantry thing that we call our 'emergency shelf'.


When short of time we get a jar or packet out of there and knock something up quick. What I do like doing is adding to the jar/packet to jazz it up a bit.


Puff pastry and filo I buy ready made but I do like to make my own shortcrust.
The trick to pasta is to do a lot of it at once, I mix batches with my 10qt mixer, so say 12 lbs of pasta dough, a couple batches, and you have enough pasta for a while..
I use hand rollers for the cutting and the sheeter for the rolling, so its pretty fast. I make pappardelle, linguini, and lasagna, them are fast and easy, its the ravioli and manicotti that take more time. But when doing 10 lbs its not too bad...
__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
The trick to pasta is to do a lot of it at once, I mix batches with my 10qt mixer, so say 12 lbs of pasta dough, a couple batches, and you have enough pasta for a while..
I use hand rollers for the cutting and the sheeter for the rolling, so its pretty fast. I make pappardelle, linguini, and lasagna, them are fast and easy, its the ravioli and manicotti that take more time. But when doing 10 lbs its not too bad...
Not everyone has the equipment, apparent storage space and free time that you do. As far as dry pasta, Barilla does a fine job.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #19
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Pastry, both shortcrust and flaky. I do make my own rich flan pastry though because I enjoy squishing the egg, butter and sugar into the flour on the worktop!!
Also buy Knorr roast chicken stock jellies for gravy. The stock from the carcass is never around long enough as that becomes soup ASAP, just love it.
I'm going to look for this next time I go to the store!

Sounds like it would be much easier than lugging home a gallon of stock!

Has anyone else tried it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=s6WBjKJ16Yc
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,879
pesto, and puff pastry, 3 cream soups (chicken, Mushroom, celery)
__________________

__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.