What does Caviar taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of the 4 types I like sevruga the best, would I buy it..... no I would prefer to spend that sort of money on errrrm...........my wife:ermm:

I've had caviar only on a couple of occasions.
But as far as fish eggs go I like and regularly order sea urchin roe whenever I have sushi.

Uni, the type of sushi many believe to be "roe" is actually the reproductive organ of the female sea urchin. What in a human would be the ovaries.

This is the organ that produces eggs, but Uni is not the eggs, its the organ itself.

^^^ Thanks for the clarification. I love them ovaries!

You're very welcome. I've never acquired a taste for Uni. I've tried it several times and it just wasn't a flavor I enjoy. I'll keep trying it periodically, because my tastes for things change with passing time. One day, I may think it's the best taste in the world.

Enjoy your Uni!

LOVE caviar (and uni).

Caviar story....wife is an oncology nurse, one of her associates would annually go to Kazakhstan to care for kids with cancer (there are a lot because of a lot of the nuclear work that was done there in the Soviet era). She was treated as a dignitary by the local govt and they would give her gifts all the time. One of these gifts was a bottle of high end vodka and a very large tin of Osetra caviar which she passed onto to my wife. So my wife and I chilled the vodka, prepared all the traditional accompaniments, and sat down and ate about $2000 worth of caviar at one sitting. Marvelous. Never get to do that again.

Last edited:
LOVE caviar.

Caviar story....wife is an oncology nurse, one of her associates would annually go to Kazakhstan to care for kids with cancer (there are a lot because of a lot of the nuclear work that was done there in the Soviet era). She was treated as a dignitary by the local govt and they would give her gifts all the time. One of these gifts was a bottle of high end vodka and a very large tin of Osetra caviar which she passed onto to my wife. So my wife and I chilled the vodka, prepared all the traditional accompaniments, and sat down and ate about $2000 worth of caviar at one sitting. Marvelous. Never get to do that again.

Oh my! I'll bet that was just fantastic! I wish I could do that. I won a bottle of very, very expensive Brandy one time and it took me a year to drink the entire bottle. I was told it went for about $500. Man, was it tasty! Figures I would love the stuff I can't afford to buy!:(:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom