Do you have an idea of what a recipe will taste like by viewing the ingredients?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most things, as long as they are of cuisines I am familiar with, I can pretty much imagine what the dish will taste like, and yes, it does take time to get familiar with things, and what you like. When I would get a new cookbook, I would go through it slowly, looking at the recipes, and if it looks like something I would probably like, I'd put a small circle in the upper outer corner of the page. Some things I see in a dish tell me immediately that it's not for me, and I'm on to the next! Some ingredient that I'm totally unfamiliar with, just makes me curious about it, and eventually, go out and get some, just to try! That's how I got all those Indian ingredients, some of which even an Indian lady I know had never seen before.

We can guess but not really know until we try it.
I've over 60 years experience eating all kinds of tomatoes and tomato products and split peas in split pea soup. Until last month I didn't really know if I would like them in the same soup. It turns out I do like them together.

I choose first by the picture (don't shoot me!) then by the ingredients, and last is wishful thinking. Can't say I've got the experience as I only really dabbled in the last 20 years. Obviously, for me, that is not long enough.

I've learned so much from this site! and even though I try to imagine/taste in my head - but no, doesn't really work for me. Again, I'm trying to taste with my brain - it's an ongoing task.

That is one of the main reasons I don't like to make something I have never eaten before. How can I made something I don't know what it's supposed to taste like?

I'm pretty good at it. However, I am more likely to know if I will NOT like a dish, than if I WILL like it. I definitely know what ingredients I don't like, no matter what recipes they are in. I also know what herbs and spices I don't like.

But, one thing that is very helpful is that I can often think of ways to "fix" a recipe to appeal to my personal tastes. I know that if I remove or replace a certain ingredient or seasoning, it'll probably work for me.

And yes, that comes with experience -- not just cooking experience, but eating experience. You develop a flavor memory.

CD

I wouldn't say that I know what it will taste it like, but I will have an idea of whether or not I'm like to like it. I only seem to be able to imagine what simple dishes will taste like. I remember reading a recipe for massaman curry and it looked appealing. I was surprised and very happy with the way it tasted. I think the biggest surprise was how much I liked it.

I choose first by the picture (don't shoot me!) then by the ingredients, and last is wishful thinking. Can't say I've got the experience as I only really dabbled in the last 20 years. Obviously, for me, that is not long enough.

I've learned so much from this site! and even though I try to imagine/taste in my head - but no, doesn't really work for me. Again, I'm trying to taste with my brain - it's an ongoing task.

That is one of the main reasons I don't like to make something I have never eaten before. How can I made something I don't know what it's supposed to taste like?
I know your feelings about not knowing until you try it and then it might have been a waste of time if you don't like it

If the ingredients are ones I'm familiar with, I can guess if I'd like it or not.
Me too!

When I was younger I always had a few OMG what was I thinking ingredients in the back of the pantry. 🤭

These days l’m content to stick with what I know.

When I’m surfing the internet looking for a specific recipe I always start by looking at the images until I see something that I think I would enjoy.

I know your feelings about not knowing until you try it and then it might have been a waste of time if you don't like it
Most recipes are for four servings. When I am making a new-to-me recipe, I almost always cut it in half. I don't want to waste more good ingredients than necessary for something we dislike (not so likely) or taste it and meh.

I generally know, but obviously not if it's a cuisine I am not familiar with.
And sometimes I surprise myself by throwing things together (left overs, stuff that need finishing) and come up with something very very nice. But it can't be replicated....

Like the others, I can get a pretty good idea if im going to like hit or not by reading the recipe in advanced ( unless it's an ingredient Im not familiar with). Usually my wife will send me recipes to kind of approve cause she has no ability at all to do this. Every now and then I get caught by surprise both ways. Some I like more than I thought I would, and another that I thought I'd like but wasnt worth the effort.

One dish that kinda fooled me was a Chinese Tofu with green beans recipe that my wife asked if I thought it would be good. I looked at it and it didnt impress me so I passed on it. There was onion powder and garlic powder , maple syrup ... Usually when I make Stir fry like dishes the fresh stuff, not powdered. Anyway, we had an abundance of string beans from the garden, so my wife decided to make the dish for dinner. To my surprise, it was very good. Well above average, to the point that now it is one of our go to string bean recipes during the summer. Im glad she took it upon herself not to listen to me.

Another dish I recently made was a chickpea - spinach soup. I was up in the middle of the night and came across the recipe online. It was one of those recipes that they talk up really big ( it's the greatest recipe, unique flavors .....). Out of curiosity I clicked on the recipe, and it had so few simple ingredients, I thought it wouldn't be bad, but nothing exceptional. Anyway, I happened to have half bag of spinach I needed to get rid of before it spoiled, and ShopRite jus recently had its can-can sale, so I have more cans of chickpeas than I know what to do with. I decided to make it more because of the spinach than anything else. To my surprise, even though it was just a few , simple, very familiar ingredients , they went together so well. I was completely surprised how much I liked it. ( I had to make the recipe based on memory, cause I had fallen asleep after seeing it, and never book marked it).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom