Caviar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember these caviar roulade recipes from the 70s that used those dusty little jars of caviar from the gourmet aisle of the local supermarket.

Long before I was introduced to the truly finer foods, I made some kind of a dip dish with crackers and crudites to take to a potluck party that used 1 of those "dusty" little jars of supermarket caviar as a garnish. I don't remember what it was other than it was made in a ring mold and unmolded for serving. Anyway, one of the guys took a cracker and went all the way around, scooping up nearly all the caviar, and popped the whole thing in his mouth. I was just horrified when I was told by the person who saw him do it.

Last edited:
My father used to say there was a difference but never really described it, at least not in words that I remember.

I know they would buy the more expensive one for cocktail parties. He would personally pass them around and explain to each and every one the differences, blah, blah, blah... LOL, bit of a caviar snob! LOL
Was the same with oysters. They would bring in a huge wooden barrel for their anniversary party. He would teach them all how to open them - of course, everyone knew how to eat them, but he would make them open them too. (or at least try, I was lurking around willing to help the ladies who didn't want to 'dirty their hands' LOL - I was 8 or 9 at the time)
This is sort of my experience, too. My parents would host a huge summer party every year and I was responsible for making like 100 deviled eggs. I was 13 or 14. But I did it.

Because she wanted it to be a fancy party Mom wanted half the eggs to be garnished with caviar.

After my first taste, only about 1/3 of them got the garnish because I ate the rest.

we lived in Iowa at the time, so she got the best she could find but they varied from year to year. So I tried different types but can’t really describe the differences except to say that IMO Ossetra is the best.

Has anyone been to Pettrosian in NYC or Vegas? Very overpriced but good to try different types.

Dont get me started on oysters…. I can eat many dozen at a time.

Last edited:
Naw, can't eat many oysters. Certainly not cooked, blech. Raw, but can only manage maybe 3 or 4. I overdosed on them and it took me many decades to try them again.

Scalloped oysters always appeared on our Thanksgiving table when I was growing up.

Now I make a small casserole every few years as a nostalgic food memory.

Naw, can't eat many oysters. Certainly not cooked, blech. Raw, but can only manage maybe 3 or 4. I overdosed on them and it took me many decades to try them again.
I love them made French Market in NOLA style, a compound butter, just barely, and I do mean barely cooked in the oven, just enough to plump the oysters and get the butter melted. They aren't totally raw, but certainly are nowhere near cooked. You could compare them to a blue steak.

When I served ossetra caviar in the restaurant, we just put a small portion on fancy mother-of-pearl teaspoons. They are specially made for caviar service because silver spoons react with caviar and gives it an odd metallic taste.
We would have a “set”, so it would come with tiny rounds of pumpernickel rye, crème fraiche, some rosettes of smoked salmon and sardines. Very 80s!
The guests would browse the caviar bump menu and pay accordingly for the amount they wanted to sample.
Wasn’t cheap even back then, but it was a bit of theatre and many la-di-da’s wanted to partake

It's available here in MN Costco right now. I saw it last Sunday. Did not pay attention to the price as it is not Kosher and I cannot have it anyway.
But as far as serving in russia they do serve it with blini, but not what the kind blini in the picture above, those are not blini. Real blini are made with yeast they are big a size of a frying pan, so 8-9 maybe even 10 inches. They are not tin, not like a crape. Usually served along with other fixings, could be number of things. Back in the day, before kosher and when supply was in abundance, I would simply butter piece of bread, doesn't have to be rye and shmear the caviar over. In all honesty that little jar they are selling here isn't worth buying. It is just not enough to have a real taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom