"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I suggest starting with musubi

That's not just musubi......that's spam musubi!....LOL...
They're actually quite good.... and perfect for a sushi newbie.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

I tried sushi just yesterday, I was really hoping i would like it. I did not, I just know it had a small clump of cream cheese looked so wonderful to fishy a taste for me. A little disappointed wanted to really like it.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalynne View Post
I tried sushi just yesterday, I was really hoping i would like it. I did not, I just know it had a small clump of cream cheese looked so wonderful to fishy a taste for me. A little disappointed wanted to really like it.
Hi, and welcome to Discuss Cooking

That type of sushi is Americanized. Japanese sushi only has raw or cooked fish or shellfish and vegetables. Don't give up on it after just one try

Some of my favorites are shrimp, lobster and barbecued eel. There is also a type that only has vegetables. I don't care for the type with the nori (seaweed) on the outside of the roll; I don't know why, but these always taste more fishy to me. Try the ones with the rice on the outside.

Here's a good visual guide to sushi and sashimi: The Different Kinds of Sushi: Types, Names, and Photos
Old 05-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Good quality seafood used for sushi and sashimi should not taste fishy. Where did you have it? As GG says, don't let one bad experience put you off.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

That type of sushi is Americanized. Japanese sushi only has raw or cooked fish or shellfish and vegetables. Don't give up on it after just one try
Americanized sushi, like the California Roll, for instance, is a good gateway sushi. Then, try other very common rolls with bits of raw ingredients in them....eventually sampling sashimi and nigiri sushi items.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Americanized sushi, like the California Roll, for instance, is a good gateway sushi. Then, try other very common rolls with bits of raw ingredients in them....eventually sampling sashimi and nigiri sushi items.
Well, I don't agree with that. I don't think cream cheese goes well with fish or seafood at all and it sets up false expectations of what sushi is. I think good gateway sushi includes veggie only (cucumber, carrot and avocado), cooked shrimp and barbecued eel. They're familiar flavors that give people the confidence to try more.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

For reginalynne - I don't know where you tried it, but if it wasn't a Japanese restaurant with a sushi bar, definitely give it another try. If it was from a buffet or a grocery store, it probably wasn't as fresh as it should be. At a sushi bar, you can watch the chef make it right in front of you, which is part of the experience.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #38
Senior Cook

There is good sushi and bad sushi. I love the stuff when it's good. My supermarket sells sushi. I'd have it for lunch every day but it is not good.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, I don't agree with that. I don't think cream cheese goes well with fish or seafood at all and it sets up false expectations of what sushi is. I think good gateway sushi includes veggie only (cucumber, carrot and avocado), cooked shrimp and barbecued eel. They're familiar flavors that give people the confidence to try more.
I don't think I've ever had rolls with cream cheese in it. Perhaps it's used as a substitute ingredient at some restaurants..?
Old 05-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Here in Virginia, a California roll usually has cream cheese in it, and the person who bumped this thread said the roll she had contained cream cheese.