"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-19-2005, 12:50 AM   #1
Sous Chef
What else can I do with sage?

Made bean dip with sage: cannellini beans, sage, cayenne, garlic, tomato paste, salt/pepper.

What else can I do with this herb? Chicken I guess...

jpinmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:32 AM   #2
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
Sage is lovely crisped in a little butter or olive oil then served with pork or chicken, it goes well with fish too. It's nice finely chopped and mixed into stuffing for birds,or with pasta instead of basil, a nice change.

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Serves 4

1 pound penne pasta
¼ cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, crushed
8 ounces prosciutto,diced
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup grated parmesan
½ cup butter
25 fresh sage leaves
salt/pepper to taste

Cook penne in boiling water. Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat; add garlic and cook til it starts to color, about 2 minutes; add prosciutto and cook til meat is browned; add walnuts and saute 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add cooked pasta to pan and toss; stir in cheese and season with salt/pepper. Place in a serving dish.
Heat butter in a clean saute pan and add sage. Cook for 1-2 minutes; spoon the sage-flavored butter over the pasta and serve.

There are a lot of Italian pasta/ravioli type dishes that use sage along with butternut squash, both in the dish and with the sauce for them.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I always put some in my spaghetti sauce
and in my pizza sauce and baked tomatoes.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
Sous Chef
yeah it does seem to be enhanced by using tomato w/ it. Also cayenne etc. seem to accentuate it. Thx.
jpinmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Master Chef
Here is a recipe that I posted awhile back.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Executive Chef
what else can I do with sage?
Give it to Rosemary on thyme?

Ok, ok,.....I'm bored. :roll:
wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
Master Chef
put it in/on sausage patties/breakfast links, on whitefish, porkchops, chicken, lamb rib chops, cornbread, clam or red sauce. i use ground sage.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
Master Chef
Sage is one of my favorite herbs and I like it in virtually any non-Asian poultry, pork or fish dish. In the summer (will it every come?) I have tons of fresh, and it's one herb that is just as good dried (rubbed sage). It's a great partner with thyme. Fresh it is super in chicken or turkey soups (the dried can sometimes sort of muddy it, but I stick a fresh branch in, and pull it out when my soup has enough sage flavor). Great way to freshen up canned soups.

Stuff a chicken or turkey with it before baking, then remove and throw away before serving.

One or two leaves put on top of a cutlet (chicken, turkey, veal, or pork), then layered with thin ham and a slice of cheese, then either rolled or sauteed as is is a classic.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Sage is a key ingredient in making Chicken/Veal Saltimbocca. It is also very good when layered between the skin and the meat when roasting chicken or turkey. Sage is also very good when stuffing pork chops/veal chops, pork/chicken roulades, etc. Sage does not usually go with most seafoods because of the clashing flavors, and beef or lamb will pretty much overpower it. Just be careful when using it because sage is one of those herbs that can really alter the taste of a dish in a negative way if the flavor components are not complimentary.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote