"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #411
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I apologize for creating confusion.

I guess my question should be posed to Addie. Why isn't GBC an American holiday tradition?
No apology necessary, but accepted nonetheless.

But let's turn it around, if you think that GBC is an American holiday tradition, then why?

I'm noting that apparently (according to the tales) Ben Franklin wanted the American national symbol to be the turkey, not the eagle. There's an American tradition that's been around for over 200 years. I'm pretty sure stuffing has been around just as long. Or what about cranberry sauce?

It was interesting that I googled cranberry sauce and found that Wikipedia says it is "commonly associated with Thanksgiving dinner in North America and Christmas dinner in the United Kingdom." (I think they got it wrong in that cranberry sauce is associated with Christmas too in NA.) But additionally, "There are differences in flavor depending on the geography of where the sauce is made: in Europe it is generally slightly sour-tasting, while in North America it is sweetened." Maybe I'm European at heart, but I always make mine based upon fresh packaged cranberries, and I use half the recommended sugar. Perhaps I shouldn't have gone this far off topic.

I don't want to see over-sweetened cranberry sauce on my plate! Cranberry sauce should be slightly sour tasting. Maybe people want sweet tasting cranberry sauce to go with their soda-pop. Please pass the wine!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #412
Head Chef

I think it's far more interesting to chop cranberries, orange, and walnuts as a mildly sweet relish. Better than overly sweet and infinitely better than that jellied puree abomination in the can.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #413
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

really! i'll bring the blood sausage....
You are welcome to my portion, Vit!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #414
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
My grandson just emailed and said that he went to the cafe LAVANT COMOIR in Paris (he has been working over there) and he had blood sausage, it was served with a little side of apples and cinnamon. He said he knows that it sound strange but they went together really well.
that sounds good!

there used to be a little french place here in the 50's near 8th ave. that i loved to go to years ago. they had an a la carte nenu, but if you ordered the prix fixe menu, they started you off with a charcouterie tree. it was this stainless steel hangar thing standing up from the middle of a plate on which various different kinds of small dry sausages were hung. on the plate were veggies like carrots, celery, and radishes, along with grapes and little apples. everyone at the table would help themselves to slices of whatever sausages and fruit or veggies they liked.

with a loaf of french bread and a bottle of wine it was a meal in itself, but it was only the appetizer.

i never told anyone the delicious black sausages were blood sausage because everyone always enjoyed everything and no one needed to get freaked out.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #415
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
No apology necessary, but accepted nonetheless.

But let's turn it around, if you think that GBC is an American holiday tradition, then why?...
Regardless of it's origin in the home economics department of Campbell's, it has been a ubiquitous dish at Thanksgiving since 1955. If look back at the threads on this site in November (as one piece of evidence) you will see it's a recurring favorite.

Simply based on how popular it has been across the country since its introduction makes it a tradition. It's just a younger tradition than some others.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #416
Executive Chef

So how can we make this recipe without buying brand name products? How do you make French's onions without getting it out of a can? Let's turn this into a real traditional food by losing the dependence on brand name products. I'm not willing to call anything a tradition as long as I have to buy products from one manufacturer. Instead I'd call that a marketing department success story.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #417
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
wow, for a group of foodies, there sure is a lot of dislikes. Think I'll go cook some liver and cauliflower... :)

it stands to reason that people who are passionate about the many foods they love would also be passionate about the ones they hate.

what i don't get is how many things that people haven't ever tried (within reason) but say they are disgusted by the thought of eating them.

i'm not talking about eating weird creatures or things that can make you sick, but a real foodie will at least try something at least once that other people like them normally eat. and if it's made by someone you trust who says their version is good, maybe try something twice.

i'm going to play a trick on my son to see if my theory holds water. he told me recently that he absolutely hates liver. his opinion is from a combination of my wife repeatedly saying how disgusting it is, and from the one time my macedonian neighbor gave him some to try. i've had her cooking a few times and it's pretty bad for the most part. almost eveything is greasy. she could make a caprese salad or a baked potato greasy.

i gave my son some pate' on toast once that he liked, right up until my wife told him it was made from liver. now he won't touch it.

anyway, i'm going to cook some liver with bacon and onions one night when dw is out and tell him that it's a calf steak. we'll see how he feels about it then.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #418
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So how can we make this recipe without buying brand name products? How do you make French's onions without getting it out of a can? Let's turn this into a real traditional food by losing the dependence on brand name products. I'm not willing to call anything a tradition as long as I have to buy products from one manufacturer. Instead I'd call that a marketing department success story.
frizzled onions are pretty easy to make, and so is cream of mushroom soup.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #419
Executive Chef

Quote:

c'mon greg, gbc may not be your tradition or mine, but like it or not i think we have to admit that americans across this land agreed on this one with or without us a half century ago....
Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #420
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I think it's far more interesting to chop cranberries, orange, and walnuts as a mildly sweet relish. Better than overly sweet and infinitely better than that jellied puree abomination in the can.
"Jellied puree abomination"

However, would you add no sweetener at all, or simply less? Does the orange have enough sweetness for you?