"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #961
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
what is pink fish? you mean, like, salmon?
Where I live, pink fish would be pink salmon. White fish would be whitefish, a specific breed of fish in the Great Lakes, Especially around the U.P. All other white fleshed fish is called by name, i.e. walleye, pike, bass, bullheads, perch, jumbo perch, eelpout (also known as losh, or freshwater cod). Other fish with pink flesh include various members of the salmon family (coho, chinook), steelhead (rainbow trout that have gone to sea and returned) Rainbow trout, lake trout. Brown trout, 10 to 15 inch rainbow, and brookies may be white or orange-fleshed. The orange-fleshed brookies are the best, in my humble opinion.

Ocean fish are good eating as well, but are very expensive around these parts. Of those I've tasted, swordfish is Number 1 in both flavor and texture, followed by sushi-grade ahi tuna, followed by pollak and cod, then ocean salmon from the pacific northwest, and halibut, orange roughy, the various flatfish, such as flounder, mackeral, etc. I also enjoy skate, shrimp, crab, lobster, clams, squid, etc.

Ah, let's face it. I like food that swims in water. I'm still not eating it live though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #962
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ocean fish are good eating as well, but are very expensive around these parts. Of those I've tasted, swordfish is Number 1 in both flavor and texture, followed by sushi-grade ahi tuna, followed by pollak and cod, then ocean salmon from the pacific northwest, and halibut, orange roughy, the various flatfish, such as flounder, mackeral, etc. I also enjoy skate, shrimp, crab, lobster, clams, squid, etc.

Ah, let's face it. I like food that swims in water. I'm still not eating it live though.

If you like fish that much, you must have had grouper then at some time. For me, that is the ultimate in a white fleshed fish. I have about 3 pounds in the freezer right now (yes, even here where it comes right out of the ocean, we still freeze it - I can't tell the difference between fresh frozen and fresh). A couple of weeks ago we went fishing and brought home a nice mess of jacks, filleted, battered and fried (served with chips and sauteed cabbage) made a wonderful fish finger dinner for our crowd at the Conch Bar the next evening.

For large game fish, wahoo is incredible (reminds me - I have to stop by the fish house and pick some up).

Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #963
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
If you like fish that much, you must have had grouper then at some time. For me, that is the ultimate in a white fleshed fish. I have about 3 pounds in the freezer right now (yes, even here where it comes right out of the ocean, we still freeze it - I can't tell the difference between fresh frozen and fresh). A couple of weeks ago we went fishing and brought home a nice mess of jacks, filleted, battered and fried (served with chips and sauteed cabbage) made a wonderful fish finger dinner for our crowd at the Conch Bar the next evening.

For large game fish, wahoo is incredible (reminds me - I have to stop by the fish house and pick some up).
Can't get grouper, or wahoo around these parts. I'd love to try it though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #964
Proud American

Gwen brought us something awful last night. She is a very bad cook anyway, so anything she does manage not to burn is suspicious.

It was a bowl of boiled Brussels sprouts, couscous, cranberries, almonds and some kind of viniagrette. It was horrible!

She asked me if we liked it, and I said yes, but -- and offered suggestions to make it better.

It was so bad Azia turned up her nose at it! Azia will eat anything! But she backed way from it and whined at it.

I don't ever want to see that again!

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #965
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That sounds totally disgusting, Cat! Oh ick!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #966
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Where I live, pink fish would be pink salmon. White fish would be whitefish, a specific breed of fish in the Great Lakes, Especially around the U.P. All other white fleshed fish is called by name, i.e. walleye, pike, bass, bullheads, perch, jumbo perch, eelpout (also known as losh, or freshwater cod). Other fish with pink flesh include various members of the salmon family (coho, chinook), steelhead (rainbow trout that have gone to sea and returned) Rainbow trout, lake trout. Brown trout, 10 to 15 inch rainbow, and brookies may be white or orange-fleshed. The orange-fleshed brookies are the best, in my humble opinion.

I went to Googe to look up steelhead and saw that "The steelhead is the official state fish of Washington." The idea of a state fish made me smile.

I think that steelhead must be the same as salmon trout/sea trout/(in Wales) sewin (all names for he same fish in the uk.

The only fish I've eaten raw are oysters - once, Loved them but a few of us shared a platter of the little beasties in France some years ago and they were wonderful but I was extremely ill afterward. None of the others were so I may be allergic to them or I may have picked the one iffy one on the platter. I have a very strong stomach and nothing much upsets it but I'm inclined to avoid oysters since.

I was once told by a fish farmer that farmed trout (usually rainbow trout in this country) are pink because they are fed on a mixture which includes cooked prawn shells. I don't think he was kidding me
Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #967
Chef Extraordinaire

Every state has a state bird, flower, fish, cookie, cake, muffin, you name it and it becomes part of the state lore. Here for Massachusetts our state fish is the Cod; bird, Chickadee; flower, Mayflower; muffin, Cranberry or Corn; fruit, Cranberry; cookie, Toll House Cookie, (chocolate chip cookie) You get the idea. Our State lawmakers up on Beacon Hill spend hours debating this stuff.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #968
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

What about hogfish? That would be my ultimate white fleshed fish, with black grouper being second. You can keep the reds and Nassaus (if you can still take them). Now scamps, strawberrys and yellowfins are not bad. Now if it were me at the Conch Bar, I'll be having its name sake! Especially since you can get it fresh! Salad, cracked or otherwise!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #969
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Gwen brought us something awful last night. She is a very bad cook anyway, so anything she does manage not to burn is suspicious.

It was a bowl of boiled Brussels sprouts, couscous, cranberries, almonds and some kind of viniagrette. It was horrible!

She asked me if we liked it, and I said yes, but -- and offered suggestions to make it better.

It was so bad Azia turned up her nose at it! Azia will eat anything! But she backed way from it and whined at it.

I don't ever want to see that again!

With love,
~Cat
I know you were being nice, saying you liked it, but rest assured you will see it again.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #970
Executive Chef

I love grouper. I have had it twice on a buffet. The whole fish was sitting on a rack and you used tongs to pull off a hunk. I would never cook it because dh would never eat it.