What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all I want to say hello. This is my first post:yum:
Squid..yuch. Not because of the taste because I never tasted it. I just can't get past what it looks like**shudder**

Welcome windsbud. You are going to really enjoy being here at DC.

I have to agree with you on that squid. My daughter makes stuffed squid a lot. Many, many moons ago when I worked in a restaurant I use to clean squid and prepare and cut up tripe. (cow's stomach) I won't eat tripe either. Although it is a tradition in this town that all Italian restaurants make tripe in gravy on Saturday. If you show up late at your favorite restaurant, you may find that there is no more left. So you go hunting for a restaurant that still has some left. Big seller. :chef:

Squid..yuch. Not because of the taste because I never tasted it. I just can't get past what it looks like**shudder**

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

This whole topic topic reminds us that like the saying, one man's ceiling is another man's floor, or one man's meat is another man's poison.

At first I didn't like the idea of squid, and I'm talking about the little squiddy ones tentacles and all. One time I was dining with friends at a Thai restaurant and they ordered a squid appetizer, more or less little squids maybe chopped in two or three parts, sauteed in chili peppers and some other stuff not sure of the recipe, so I tried it and discovered it was really good!

Recently I've had a craving for the same thing, having noticed that one of my favorite Thai restaurants has it on the menu (squid salad), but I don't want to eat the whole thing and I can't find any of my friends that will share it.

So I'll add to things that I do want to see on my plate: little Thai style squids! :yum:

Addie, this is a pretty good topic you started! :) I'll bet it will go 100 pages and probably far beyond! :)

Last edited:

Like some other foods, they are best viewed for the first time in one of their more attractive states.

calamari.jpg

It takes some experience to get to appreciate them au natural, so to speak.

Attachments

• squidy.jpg
    squidy.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 106
GLC please quit that! Your squid rings look good and it's starting to get near dinner time in my time zone. Uh, can I have some onion rings with that too? :yum:

I've made a note to investigate Thai squid salad recipes in hopefully the near future.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

This whole topic topic reminds us that like the saying, one man's ceiling is another man's floor, or one man's meat is another man's poison.

At first I didn't like the idea of squid, and I'm talking about the little squiddy ones tentacles and all. One time I was dining with friends at a Thai restaurant and they ordered a squid appetizer, more or less little squids maybe chopped in two or three parts, sauteed in chili peppers and some other stuff not sure of the recipe, so I tried it and discovered it was really good!

Recently I've had a craving for the same thing, having noticed that one of my favorite Thai restaurants has it on the menu (squid salad), but I don't want to eat the whole thing and I can't find any of my friends that will share it.

So I'll add to things that I do want to see on my plate: little Thai style sids! :yum:
Addie, this is a pretty good topic you started! :) I'll bet it will go 100 pages and probably far beyond! :)

Thank you. I too am surprised at how far this subject has gone. I didn't realize just how many foods I don't want to find on my plate either. I think my aversion to squid may be because I had to clean so many of them, (cuttle bone and all) when I worked in the restaurant. The restauran was too cheap to spend a few more pennies and buy the ones already cleaned. It cost them more for my labor than they saved. :chef:

Addie,

I think the topic is interesting because for almost every thing somebody doesn't like there's somebody else who really loves it. The squids are a good example, or the escargot, or the liver, etc. (I love liver!)

I don't eat anything that has lived in water.:sick:

Why not? Did you have a bad experience with seafood?

Addie,

I think the topic is interesting because for almost every thing somebody doesn't like there's somebody else who really loves it. The squids are a good example, or the escargot, or the liver, etc. (I love liver!)

Why not? Did you have a bad experience with seafood?

As a child I was always made to eat everything on my plate (you sat there until you did). The foods I hated most were fish or liver. I would take these foods ( I would cut them into tiny little pieces) and mix them in my mashed potatoes in order to get it down. Even today the smell of any "sea food" or liver makes me feel ill. When my DH has his friends over for a fish fry he has to cook it outside.
I know fish is good for you to eat but I just can't do it.

Addie,

Yum! Yum! I have to be careful when I cook liver. I have a tendency to want to cook a whole mess of it at one time. That is overkill with iron for me. :yum::yum::yum:

Sorry JoAnn. I hate to hear when people are forced to eat foods, particularly forced to eat everything on their plate. I think this a common reason for food aversions.

I was forced to eat vegetables to some degree when I was a kid. I didn't like them much as a young adult but when I got older I acquired a real taste for vegetables and now I crave them (most of them).

Sorry JoAnn. I hate to hear when people are forced to eat foods, particularly forced to eat everything on their plate. I think this a common reason for food aversions.

I was forced to eat vegetables to some degree when I was a kid. I didn't like them much as a young adult but when I got older I acquired a real taste for vegetables and now I crave them (most of them).

My youngest daughter hated peas. But there was a rule at the table. You had to eat half of everything on your plate. So I made sure that I had mashed potatoes whenever I served peas. For her I would give her two peas. One where she could see it and one hidden in her mashed potatoes. She would eat half of her potatoes after she had found the pea leaving it untouched and then cut the other pea in half. After I caught her doing that trick, I gave up. She hated peas. But I learned to give smaller portions of foods that the other kids didn't like. After a while the 'rule' went to the wayside. I didn't like using food as punishment. And that is how the kids saw it. "What did I do wrong that now I have to eat this?"

My youngest daughter hated peas. But there was a rule at the table. You had to eat half of everything on your plate. So I made sure that I had mashed potatoes whenever I served peas. For her I would give her two peas. One where she could see it and one hidden in her mashed potatoes. She would eat half of her potatoes after she had found the pea leaving it untouched and then cut the other pea in half. After I caught her doing that trick, I gave up. She hated peas. But I learned to give smaller portions of foods that the other kids didn't like. After a while the 'rule' went to the wayside. I didn't like using food as punishment. And that is how the kids saw it. "What did I do wrong that now I have to eat this?"

What I did when I was raising kids and now with my grandchildren is if you honestly don't like it you don't have to eat it. However if you like what is on the table it is not multiple choice. Ex. Boy # 2 said no to peas. He liked peas and they were the veggie for the meal, so yes he had to eat some.:chef:

after doing some research (thanks tim), it appears eating almost all varieties of garden (aka land) snails are safe to eat. only some saltwater snails are poisonous.

i guess what you see on edited tv shows are still more accurate than what you might read on the intenet... lol.

I don't want to see land snails, freshwater snails or sea snails on my plate! If we ever discover space snails I don't want to see them either! :)

But I'd like to see some squids on my plate! :cool: Particularly in a Thai recipe. :yum:

after doing some research (thanks tim), it appears eating almost all varieties of garden (aka land) snails are safe to eat. only some saltwater snails are poisonous.

i guess what you see on edited tv shows are still more accurate than what you might read on the intenet... lol.

Not the Internet, and there were some things they probably didn't explain on the show. I relied on an account of the snail festival, Foire aux Escargots, at Martigny-les-Bains, in Peter Mayle's French Lessons - Advantures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew (2001). The issue with wild snails is not a matter or inherently poisonous snails themselves. The problem is the popularity among snails that roam the fields and forests of nightshade and poisonous mushrooms. Snail festivals in France can be any time from spring through September, but this particular one is in May, if the time of year has anything to do with it, which it well might, in the case of the mushrooms. There, they starve the collected wild snails for fifteen days and put them through three washes of fresh water to rid them of their dietary toxins. Cultivated snails, of course, don't have the problem.

M.F.K. Fisher wrote about preparation of wild snails, also, in Serve It Forth (1937). She was writing about Dijon where the old man who was preparing the snails starved them for "a few days or a week" to rid them of poisons.

Cultivated snails are raised on garden/farm-like rows of what looks to me like clover. If people on the show were collecting snails from their own garden, they likely know that there's nothing poisonous for them to eat. I don't know that they qualify as "wild" snails. More like free range snails. But it's clear that snails can ingest without harm to themselves things that are toxic to humans. And I have to wonder if the purging of wild snails might also have to do with unpleasant tastes imparted by recently eaten things.

thanks for the explanation, glc. it's funny how easy misinformation can be spread unintentionally.

if i recall correctly, the people in the show literally were collecting snails from right around their houses and gardens. dozens at a time after a heavy rain, and like you said, kind of free range. it was almost a snail infestation from the pictures. :ermm:

i know from my own garden that all you need to do is leave out some wooden planks in a loose pile near a lawn sprinkler to collect them.

Back
Top Bottom