What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tim, I think a lot of the emotion comes from how dogs are loved as members of the family in this country. Cows are not.

Think back to the Michael Vick/dog fighting/killing business of a few years ago. He was vilified and received a stiff prison sentence. A much harsher sentence than another pro football player who killed a human while drunk driving. Vick is still hounded by people because of his crimes.

You can't take the emotion out of it.

I understand that, Andy, but I have a problem removing logic from it as well. I'm fully capable of removing the emotion from this issue out of necessity. Otherwise, I could never eat a deer or a rabbit.

People are a little weird in how they thing sometimes. Take for example; all the wars.

More people are killed every single year in the USA in car fatalities than were killed in the entire time of the Iraq War.

40 thousand people. But where is the outrage at 40,000 deaths? Where is the political action to prevent it? Where are the sit-ins, the protests and the public outrage at 40,000 people dying each year on our highways?

Practically non-existent. People just accept it, year in, and year out.

We have the technology to eliminate car accidents now. If we spent a quarter of the money we spend on wars, on car accident prevention, we could reduce them enough to save 20-30,000 needless deaths each year. Every year!

We don't, because we, as a species are as illogical as can be in matters of death. We cringe at someone mistreating a domesticated animal and spend millions of dollars prosecuting them, but we let drunks leave bars across the country every single night that drive and kill PEOPLE! (Easily prevented by requiring Alcohol Breathilizers by LAW, in every single vehicle. Over the limit...car won't start!)

Well, I'm starting to feel like I'm on a soap-box shouting at an uncaring crowd, so I'll climb down and quit now.

Last edited:
For the first time ever, on DC, I'm staying out of this one.:ohmy: When it comes to people whose emotions are tweaked, in one way or the other, things can go bad very quickly.

I applaude the efforts of everyone to remain respectful of each other in this thread. Just be careful. Tread lightly.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

THere's a vegetable in the califlower family that I wouldn't want on my plate. It looks hideous. I believe it's origins came from outerspace...I'd bet Tim's had it, :LOL::ROFLMAO:.

I understand that, Andy, but I have a problem removing logic from it as well. I'm fully capable of removing teh emotion from this issue out of necessity. Otherwise, I could never eat a deer or a rabbit.

The logical part of the discussion is that people eat animals. Emotions govern which are OK to eat. That emotion can be cultural or religious.

You've made me curious CWS. These people keep these animals as food stock. How and why would they "torture" the animals prior to it's intended use? It just makes no sense to me.

In many countries, a dog is thought of exactly as a cow is thought of in the USA... Food. Nothing more, nothing less. It's handlers care no more about it's feelings than someone who works in a cow slaughterhouse cares about a cows feelings.

When we lived in Texas we went to a "culling auction." That is where they auction off animals that are culled from a herd because they don't look like champion stock. We got a two month old heifer Black Angus and a one month old piglet. Took them home, fed them really good and in less than six months they were ready for the freezer. We called the slaughter truck. He came and did his job. All the time the animals were growing, I kept telling my kids not to get fond of them They were going to become food. I refused to let them name them. I must have done a good job because that winter we had meat and the kids knowing where it came from ate it without a fuss.

When I worked with the 4-H kids, they knew from the day their animal was born, what their future was. And they accepted it without question. I am not an animal lover per say. Yet I will be the first one to call the authorities if I see you abusing or torturing any animal. I just try to be realistic. I think horses are some of the most beautiful animals. But they are very dumb and skittish. Unless you have the money to bury your horse like they do on big farms in Kentucky, you know what the end will be for a horse.

I tend to lean toward the side that says animals are here to serve us. We don't have to abuse them or torture them before we are through using them for our own means. But I would rather put my money towards feeding a hungry child than spend it burying an animal once it can no longer serve us.

I love my son's Maltese. It has been what keeps my son going since his wife died. And for that I am grateful to the dog. But if something happened to the dog, I would be more concerned about what will happen to my son.

THere's a vegetable in the califlower family that I wouldn't want on my plate. It looks hideous. I believe it's origins came from outerspace...I'd bet Tim's had it, :LOL::ROFLMAO:.

Are you talking about the one that is the green cauliflower, bred with broccoli? I think they call it Broc-O-flower or something...

For the first time ever, on DC, I'm staying out of this one.:ohmy: When it comes to people whose emotions are tweaked, in one way or the other, things can go bad very quickly.

I applaude the efforts of everyone to remain respectful of each other in this thread. Just be careful. Tread lightly.

Dang if that ain't a fact! I'm not saying another word about it. I think I made my feelings on the matter as clear as can be.

I love my son's Maltese. It has been what keeps my son going since his wife died. And for that I am grateful to the dog. But if something happened to the dog, I would be more concerned about what will happen to my son.

After reading many, many of your posts and thoughts, Addie, I've come to realize that you have a heart as big as the great outdoors!

You're just a sweetie!

I'm sorry to say, I meant to say that I don't want to see hot dogs on my plate, not dog!!! :devilish:

Okay I didn't understand how much controversy it would stir up. Sorry.

I think our food preferences and proscriptions are cultural. People from India don't eat beef, people from America don't eat dog.

This supports a concept I've advocated from the beginning of the topic, that your culture and heritage determines what foods you like and which you avoid or even consider disgusting. If you come from a insular or narrow culture you will feel constricted in your food choices. If you come from an adventuresome culture with wide exposure to other cultures then you may accept a far wider range of foods.

i've told this story before but it bears repeating.

a friend and co-worker named young choi emigrated to america from seoul, korea a number if years ago.

when he first came here, a bunch if the guys at work invited him to come along to a baseball game to show him his new nation's pasttime. he was eager to go, both to make new friends, as well as see a real proffesional american baseball game.

as he walked through the stadium, he noticed a bunch of vendors selling hot dog. he thought it was strange that he'd never heard of americans eating dog before, but he had eaten it a few times in korea so it wasn't that big of a deal.

after the guys took their seats, a vendor walked by selling hot dogs, so choi, in order to thank his friends, bought one for everyone.

the hot dogs were passed down the row, and as choi paid he opened up the wrapper of his hot dog and exclamied, "i'm sorry, i don't eat that part. may i have a different piece?"

everyone burst out laughing and had to describe to choi what a hot dog was, an thinking about it mentioned that it was made from all of the undesirable parts of a cow or pig.

choi wasn't sure if we were joking or not, and we weren't sure if he was, but it sure was funny.

I think either Tim or BC is right, not sure which. I don't understand how they bred a cross that had all the worst parts of both broccoli and cauliflower.

I love broccoli, hate cauliflower, and equally hate broccolini or brocoflower or whatever you name this evil cross.

Whatever you call it I don't want to see it on my plate.

You're not talking about Romanesco, are you? It looks like this:

romanesco-cauliflower.jpg

It's actually not bad. But then again, I like cauliflower.

I'm going to find where i saw it and post the pic. It almost looked like a small aloe vera plant but in a creepy way. it had texture to it. i can see it in my head and it makes my skin itch...

Back
Top Bottom