"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #251
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
All spiders can and do bite. And they can inject some nasty stuff into your skin. It is their defense mechanism. Nasty enough to send you to the hospital a very sick person. You have just been lucky enough to have missed it. Mosquito bites can easily become infected. We do have one section of our country where it rains almost as much as it does in Merry Ole England. The Northwest. But even then they have more days of sunshine than rain. We do have majestic mountains that are snow capped year round, along with deserts that bloom with the most beautiful flowers you have ever seen. Miles and miles of beautiful seashores along with sprawling meadows. But no matter where you go in this country, we have some very unique fauna and flora that can not be found anywhere else on earth. I will gladly live with the inconveniences that each season brings. Because one day I got to see a Big Horn Sheep ram taking his time crossing the road right in front of the car I was in and it looked right at me. It was springtime. Had it been winter, that road would have been closed due to avalanche danger. I would have missed that.
Sorry, I meant spiders in the UK are well-trained and don't bite people and mozzie bites don't usually get infected. Mind you I was targeted by every horse fly in Derbyshire a few weeks ago and that was pretty nasty while it lasted but I'm a bit allergic to the bites.

My post was partly tongue in cheek. I haven't visited the States but we get nature and travel programmes on television and I agree that it's a beautiful and very varied country. Sadly, most Brits who visit the USA for holiday tend to go to Florida to "do" Disney and fail to see the big picture. I'm probably a bit old for the riding holiday out west that I always fancied when I was a girl but on my bucket list of "Things to Do Before I Die" is New England in the fall - very hackneyed and touristy, I know!

As for the animals, an old friend of mine used to be married to a keen amateur mountain climber and used to traipse all over the world with him. Sometime in the 1970s they were camping in the Yosemite when they heard a noise outside the tent, stuck their heads out of the tent and looked straight into the face of a bear. They were very lucky as it just looked at them and turned and walked away.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #252
Chef Extraordinaire

MC, we have running right up the middle of the country a Continental Divide. On one side all the streams flow toward the Pacific and on the other towards the Atlantic ocean. It starts at the border with Mexico and runs all the way up to the border with Canada. Real outdoors people that are nuts as far as I am concerned, hike that whole trail. You get to see scenery that makes you want to cry, it is so beautiful. From 15K feet you are standing on top of a mountain and can see as far as eternity. Beautiful wild flowers, deserts, grizzly bears, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats and all other kinds of wild life. The hike can take as long as six months. You can run into wild fires in the forest, rakish watering holes, and so many more hazards. But every step is worth the hike.

I wouldn't go to see Disney World if it was the only thing in this country to see. Right now Florida is having a major problem with sink holes. And they are not far from Disney World. No thanks. I would rather go see the Grand Canyon or the Petrified Forest.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #253
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
MC, we have running right up the middle of the country a Continental Divide. On one side all the streams flow toward the Pacific and on the other towards the Atlantic ocean. It starts at the border with Mexico and runs all the way up to the border with Canada. Real outdoors people that are nuts as far as I am concerned, hike that whole trail. You get to see scenery that makes you want to cry, it is so beautiful. From 15K feet you are standing on top of a mountain and can see as far as eternity. Beautiful wild flowers, deserts, grizzly bears, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats and all other kinds of wild life. The hike can take as long as six months. You can run into wild fires in the forest, rakish watering holes, and so many more hazards. But every step is worth the hike.
It's actually one of several continental divides, it's toward the west coast, and doesn't stop at the borders. It divides all of the North and South American continents. I went horseback riding along the Continental Divide in Colorado and it's breathtakingly beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00050.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	18563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00029.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	18564  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00046.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	18565  
Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #254
Chef Extraordinaire

Our PBS showed last night a two part documentary on it. The hiker took his time when he was in Colorado. He was enjoying the vistas too much. He was on top of the highest mountain and the sight was beyond description. Every so often he would leave the trail and go into one of the small towns that serviced the hikers. There were a lot of abandoned mining towns also. I was enthralled.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #255
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's actually one of several continental divides, it's toward the west coast, and doesn't stop at the borders. It divides all of the North and South American continents. I went horseback riding along the Continental Divide in Colorado and it's breathtakingly beautiful.
GG, are you in any of those pix? They are gorgeous.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #256
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
GG, are you in any of those pix? They are gorgeous.
Thank you. No, the young lady there was our guide. I was taking the pictures :-)
Old 08-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #257
Executive Chef

One of the ski runs at Breckenridge runs right along the continental divide. I recommend it to all! I love living in a state that is so beautiful.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #258
Everymom

Today I learned that even if you have a canning rack in your canner you should still use oven mitts to take it out! What the heck was I thinking??? Owie.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #259
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Today I learned that even if you have a canning rack in your canner you should still use oven mitts to take it out! What the heck was I thinking??? Owie.
Oh Alix...Ouch! I burn myself about once a week.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #260
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Alix, don't have done that. Ow.

Chopper, I used to burn myself that often. I'm getting better about that. I have quit (most of the time, sometimes I forget) reaching into the oven without pulling out the shelf. I have fairly "hard hands", but I'm trying to remember to use pot holders, even when I don't think I really need them.