I learned my lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texmex

Senior Cook
I have one of those meatloaf pans with the handles that you can pull the meatloaf out so it's not all greasy and I've only used it twice. I can't remember what I did the first two times but that's greasy as me so easily is I wasn't worried about greasing the pan since it's non-stick, but it totally stuck, so I've learned my lesson. The other times it was just 85/15 beef. This time it was half beef half sausage.

It tastes good though! I made a barbecue meatloaf that uses oatmeal instead of bread. I think I'm about to have a sandwich.

I do a free form meatloaf as well, but I put it on the broiler pan after lining the bottom and the top, cutting slits in the foil to correspond with the slits in the top broiler pan, so the grease drains away and clean up is easy. If Craig wants gravy, he makes it with drippings in bottom broiler pan. I know all that foil is kind of wasteful, but I'd be using paper towels to soak up the excess grease and then extra soap and water to get rid of the grease, so I'd rather use the foil and make clean up simple.

I've been making meatloaves with the Quaker Oats recipe for a while now. We both really like it. Only thing I do different is glaze the top with a mixture of ketchup and Worchestershire about 15 minutes before it is done.

I’m a fan of the crust on free form meatloaf so I would probably use the pan to mold the raw loaf before turning it out on a baking sheet and popping it into the oven.
I go one better. I form the meatloaf in a loaf pan, then turn it upside down on a broiler pan and remove the loaf pan. That way the fat drains off into the broiler pan, away from the meatloaf while its baking.

I used to only make freeform meatloaves. But I do really like these pans with the drain insert. But yeah, the outer crust is the best part. I suppose there's really no reason you couldn't use the drain insert in a 9x9 or sheet pan and just not use the loaf pan.

I used to pack the meatloaf into a loaf pan the turn it out onto a foil-lined pan to bake. Then I realized the shape was not all that important to the meal and now I just hand shape it on the foil-lined pan. If I do it right, two slices will fit perfectly onto a bread slice for a meatloaf sandwich.

I used to pack the meatloaf into a loaf pan the turn it out onto a foil-lined pan to bake. Then I realized the shape was not all that important to the meal and now I just hand shape it on the foil-lined pan. If I do it right, two slices will fit perfectly onto a bread slice for a meatloaf sandwich.
Meatloaf sandwiches are one of the best things about meatloaf! Often, I make meatloaf just before a camping trip so that we can have meatloaf sandwiches at the campground. Yum!

Before I learned to do the roasting pan (so the juices would flow into the rim) I used my regular loaf pan and I would insert the handle of my wooden spoon in 2 or 3 evenly spaced places across the top of the loaf.
The fat would accumulate there as well as the sides, be easy to pour off, plus the added advantage of more even heating/cooking of the meat.
But yeah, meatloaf sandwiches are..... oh what the heck! just cold sliced meatloaf standing in front of the open door of the fridge - the best!!!!!

The way I've done it most of my life is put it in a 9 by 9 pan and I just shape it so it will fit in the pan diagonally. But I have to say it's not that easy to cut when you do it that way. Might be better off on a longer pan. You do kind of want the top rounded so that the sauce will kind of go down the side as well.

Meatloaf sandwiches are one of the best things about meatloaf! Often, I make meatloaf just before a camping trip so that we can have meatloaf sandwiches at the campground. Yum!
The barbecue meatloaf made especially good sandwiches. Now if I'd had a little extra sauce to put on there it would have been even better. But I put mayonnaise.

There let's go I'm never going to make another meatloaf without putting the onion into the food processor in just pretty much pulverizing it. A lot of the failures I've had were just because of the onion making a loaf fall apart. This loaf had a little problem because I didn't grease the pan so it got jostled pretty bad but the middle slices were nice and uniform and together and smooth looking kind of.

I'm in the minority, I know, but I have never put a sauce on my meatloaf.
The barbecue meatloaf just has barbecue sauce and ketchup stirred together and then you reserve half of that for the top and add stuff to it. So the interior of the meatloaf itself is barbecuing but not in a sharp way. But you can eat it just like that. And then on the reserve you put mustard and brown sugar and use that for the topping. My favorite topping is either ketchup mustard and brown sugar or the one for the barbecue meatloaf that also adds the barbecue sauce.

I'm almost with Andy. The most I put on top while in the oven is a very thin squirt of either ketchup, chili sauce, or by preference A1 sauce.
I think I did it not only because that's what the original recipe said to do waaay back when, but also because it seemed to get a bit of browning crust on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom