What is American food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would pic a dish that represents each state.

For example Maine would be Lobster Roll
New York would be a Pizza
Alaska would be Salmon
California would be a salad
Oregon would be berry pancakes
Iowa would Ham and corncakes
Wisconsin would be Mac n cheese

Etc>

I would name it Amurka and have a beer from each state available too.

Free cone of fries as an appetizer.

Great ideas and names for our restaurant guys!!

I think we should also have American style soda shop items too, like milkshakes/malts, ice cream sodas, hot fudge sundays with red white and blue sprinkles and even Banana Splits. In addition to all the apple and fruit pies, we should have Boston Cream pie, and Red Velvet Cake too.

Regarding the "no menu" idea, years ago I went to a restaurant in Carlsbad, California (no longer there I think, but not because they weren't good). I believe they gave you a few choices (fried chicken was their specialty, but I think you could choose beef or fish--although I'm not completely sure). All the tables were set like you would expect to find a table in an old mid-west farmhouse, very homey. The food was brought to your table on platters and in bowls, and you served yourself, family style. It was a very nice experience.

Sounds a little like Mrs Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah Ga, Barbara.

I am with Barb and Pac. We had a great restaurant in CNY called The Krebs. They had a fixed menu that did not change much for 100 years. I also like the Greenridge Turkey Farm in Nashua New Hampshire. I would call mine the Squat and Gobble or the Chat n Chew.

I would open up a burger joint with a cool soda fountain.

Back in the 60's when we were living in Japan my dad designed an American style cafe for a Japanese restauranteur and even came up with a name. He named it The Dinette....I know, tacky...lol...
I don't remember their menu but I remember they shipped in a cool, genuine, American soda fountain.

in reading through all of the responses, i realized that 95% of what we would call american food has it's roots in other countries, just like our population.

hot dogs and hamburgers can be traced back to germany.

meatloaf - switzerland and other western european ckuntries

pizza - italy

bbq - caribbean/african

i guess it boils down to ingredients. roast turkey would be all american. corn is another.

Wisconsin would be Mac n cheese
No... beer brats and sauerkraut would be more in line with what I grew up there. Or beer cheese soup (with popcorn croutons floated on top). Yum!

It's difficult to define "American Cuisine," any more than it is to define French, Chinese, or Spanish Cuisine. Like those places, we're a country with a lot of regional food variations. For example, pizza is popular here, but think about how different pizza is in NY, Chicago, and LA. Don't even get me started on BBQ or Chili.

If I were to open a restaurant in another country, I would probably try to open something that showcased dishes from a specific region (Louisiana Creole or Southwestern, for example) rather than a hodgepodge of unrelated foods.

I suppose as a Brit who has traveled the US of A quite a lot for the last 30 yrs, I have been thinking how to answer to the question with an encapsulating response. I cant, so the best I came up with is it full of fantastic surprises.:)

in reading through all of the responses, i realized that 95% of what we would call american food has it's roots in other countries, just like our population.

meatloaf - switzerland and other western european ckuntries

Waaait...I thought my Mom invented Meatloaf...

:( My bubble has burst!

I know, she must have shown everyone in those other places!

Whew! For a minute there, I was really scared...:ROFLMAO:

Waaait...I thought my Mom invented Meatloaf...

:( My bubble has burst!

I know, she must have shown everyone in those other places!

Whew! For a minute there, I was really scared...:ROFLMAO:

I guess your mom never shared that part of her past with you. Traveling throughout Western Europe selflessly planting the seeds of an idea for a new dish - meatloaf. She is a legend along the lines of Johnny Appleseed. Yeah, that's the ticket. She's Mommy Meatloafseed.

To my taste (being from NYC), the parts of Europe (Central to Southern Germany, Northern to Central Italy, Switzerland) that I have been in were lacking when it came to kosher hot dogs, thick tender juicy charcoal grilled beef steaks, prime rib roast, sweet corn, okra and hot pastrami. Since then it seems times have changed so my experiences may be outdated.

I completely agree with you.. not enough places to go for a really good steak, haven't found one within the next 60miles yet...

hot dogs and hamburgers can be traced back to germany.

well, Hot Dogs came from Denmark, but somewhere back in time that might have been a part of Germany, too :cool:

For me typical US Food is:

pancakes (with maple syrup - love that!)
english muffins
farmer omelett
baked beans
peanut butter

Hamburger
Steak
Mac&Cheese
Clam Chowder
Chicken wings
Lobster
Dirty Rice
Thanksgiving turkey
French fries

German chocolate cake (never ever heard of that here :LOL: )
Donuts
Muffins
Cupcakes
Angel Food cake
Brownies
NY Cheese Cake

Visitors to the US have most often asked me in the past where they can go for the best burgers or steak houses. That there I think says something.

I think you're right roadfix. In my travels around the world, it seems the only representation of American food is McDonald's, Burger King, and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Ackkk...:sick: In the US we have all kinds of ethnic restaurants to choose from, but abroad I've yet to see a restaurant with a true representation of a typical American menu. I wish I had the money, know-how, and energy to be the founder of a great chain of USA restaurants throughout the world.

I completely agree with you.. not enough places to go for a really good steak, haven't found one within the next 60miles yet...

well, Hot Dogs came from Denmark, but somewhere back in time that might have been a part of Germany, too :cool:

For me typical US Food is:

pancakes (with maple syrup - love that!)
english muffins
farmer omelett
baked beans
peanut butter

Hamburger
Steak
Mac&Cheese
Clam Chowder
Chicken wings
Lobster
Dirty Rice
Thanksgiving turkey
French fries

German chocolate cake (never ever heard of that here :LOL: )
Donuts
Muffins
Cupcakes
Angel Food cake
Brownies
NY Cheese Cake
I've eaten quite a few lobsters in Italy (two kinds And some quite large).
Are not pommes frites pretty much the same as American French fries?
Krapfen ar my favorite type of doughnut.

Last edited:
There is lobster in Europe, but for me that's somehing typical american.. and yes, Pommes are the same as ff, but it's an allegory for US Food...

I don't know much about American food but when I think of it it's usually:

Ben and Jerry's
Pumpkin Pie
Blueberry Waffles
& Pancakes with Maple Syrup and bacon

Ooh and when I was in NY I had the most amazing sweet cheese filled pretzel :-p So good.

Back
Top Bottom