"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #51
Head Chef
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess1969 View Post
Chicken and noodle soup. I make everything from scratch right down to the noodles.
Do you have to have a noodle machine to make the noodles? If not, how is the noodle making done. i would love to maybe give it a try.

My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #52
Half Baked
Beanless chili! The way it should be!

Ham with Scalloped potatoes and leeks about ten years ago.

Old one was lamb tenderloin in blackberry cabernet sauce.(90's)

Before that was a seafood newburg.(late 80's)
(where's the Chardonnay?)

Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #53
Assistant Cook
My Lasagna Soup has to be my signature. I make a lot of soups but that one is most requested by family & friends. I use my breadmaker often and usually make a loaf of Italian Bread to go with
Marysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
A group of us used to meet for holiday cookouts, and I was always asked to make my potato salad. My secret is seasoning with only Italian Dressing Mix plus a capful of vinegar, and mayo. No added salt or pepper. Once I had forgotten and had to rush a batch using only potatoes and hard boiled eggs. It was just as good without all the other ingredients.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #55
Head Chef
Lasagna for a main dish and lemon meringue pie for dessert. (But it takes forever so I don't do it often.)
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #56
Senior Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
Do you have to have a noodle machine to make the noodles? If not, how is the noodle making done. i would love to maybe give it a try.
No, you do not need a machine to make noodles. If you have a pasta machine, just roll out a strip of pasta, let it dry some. Roll it up jelly-roll style and then cut it with a knife about 1/4 inch wide. Loosen it up and let it dry completly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cake 080.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	8668  
We are all angels with one wing. Only together we can fly.
zfranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #57
Assistant Cook
My family loves my dressing - my goal was to make it tastes just like 'mom's' - it took me 2-3 decades. The same for pumpkin pie - took about the same amount of time. But, they are my signature 'fall' dishes.

I make mean BBQ ribs in the summertime.

My lasagna isn't bad, either :0)
CMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #58
Senior Cook
I'd have to say my southwestern bean soup. And for Christmas I'm always asked to make cardamom braided bread (Finnish Nissua) so I must be doing that right too :)
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 AM   #59
Executive Chef

Pierce a 4lbs piece of beef all over (brisket), stick garlic slivers and smoked bacon into the slits, place in a bowl and pour 1/2 a cup of red wine vinegar over it, leave in fridge for 24 hrs.
Remove meat from dish, season, put in a cooking pot with some olive oil, beef dripping, onions, celery and carrots, cover and roast for 60 mins.

Take meat out of the pot,place pot on medium heat puree veg add a little flour, work in, add two cloves, tomato puree, a little sweet pudding wine,red wine, a few slices of lemon a handful of chopped prunes.Work into a good gravy.

Cut meat along the grain into 1/2" thick slices and place in gravy, cook slowly until tender.Let the Pasticada cool place in fridge for 24 hrs, re-heat gently and serve with mashed or roasted potato.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #60
Master Chef
Like many of you, I'm thinking of other "signature" dishes. Different dishes for different seasons, and lord knows, for different places I've lived. But last December one of my sisters (the only one who likes to cook) called me from Mom & Dad's house and asked me to talk her through tourtiere. She said it turned out great, and Mom & Dad were so happy to have it again! The tourtieres of their youths were very heavy and and rather bland (I honestly remember them as being just something to absorb alcohol that was consumed!), and whenever I've made my version here in the midwest, it disappeared very quickly. Maybe there's something about living in pastie land that makes savory pies more acceptable than in much of the U.S., but I bake a tourtiere for a buffet or potluck, and my tourtiere-loving husband is lucky to get a slice!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote