"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

CarolPa, mmmm pie. Frozen is good, but you're right, it's not homemade!

Apparently the employees don't even know this chili recipe. The owner mixes the spices himself and gives it to them to combine with the other ingredients. I bet his wife doesn't even know the secret!

Steven.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtThis View Post
CarolPa, mmmm pie. Frozen is good, but you're right, it's not homemade!

Apparently the employees don't even know this chili recipe. The owner mixes the spices himself and gives it to them to combine with the other ingredients. I bet his wife doesn't even know the secret!

Steven.
Hmm. Maybe you need to go through their trash!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Their trash... Oddly, I'd love to! But they'd catch me. They're open 24 hours a day, so I think I'd be busted pretty quickly. But if I could, imagine the empty spice bottles I might find. Then again, they probably have their dumpsters under lock and key, or else they dispose of the chili scraps off site to protect the recipe. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting, which is almost as fun as dumpster diving and much more sanitary.

And with that, I've reached a new low in this thread. Thanks everybody for all your advise. Sounds like I have my answer: red grease does not come from red meat. It comes from any fat that's been stained by red peppers (chili powder likely) or tomatoes. That's one more piece of the puzzle to work with.

Thank you!
Steven.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

I have a recipe for Wendys chili. It is my go to chili recipe. I am not sure how real it really is, but I will try to remember to post it here when I get home from work.

Interestingly, the meat Wendys uses for their chili comes from old burgers that have been left and not sold. There is a bin next to the grill that they scrape the scraps into and that is what goes into their chili.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Thanks, GB. At first, the burger scraps method seemed disgusting to me, but then again, why not? If they can use leftovers and scraps to make a delicious and non-spoiled chili, more power to them! If you do post the recipe, I'll be interested to read it.

Thanks again.
Steven.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Master Chef

I'm still not sure why you are thinking of putting tumeric in chili.

Tumeric turns things a golden yellow color and can stain. Its used as a food coloring.

It also tastes bitter and earthy, which can be a good thing in some kinds of chili.

Its the base of many Indian curry powders.

I am pretty sure that the orange color you are looking for comes from tomato product, as a meaty tomato sauce, sloppy joes and other things that that don't contain chili powder or turmeric or a spice that could turn it orange often have that greasy orange appearance.

I'd add some tomato paste as well as tomato juice.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #27
Head Chef

Its the fat in the meat, chili powder and tomato's that the redish/orange color comes and rises to the surface. I would not use veg oil in chili. Use bacon for flavor and fat. Also you must simmer it long enough to render all the fat to get those "spots" your looking for.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Thanks, jennyema. If you do a Google search for "tumeric in chili" you will find many, many recipes. It is indeed common in chili. For my old chili, I don't use tumeric, but now that I'm trying to duplicate an existing chili, I have to use the ingredients that make my new chili look, taste, and smell like what I'm imitating. The two biggest "ah-ha" moments came when I discovered cumin and when I discovered tumeric. Cumin for the flavor, and tumeric for the flavor and color. I had been trying tomatoes, paprika, and chili powder to achieve the orange color and staining capabilities of what I've gotten from the restaurant. None of that worked. Then I found turmeric. It improved the flavor, matched the color, and contributed the staining. I'm not saying the staining is a good thing, but it's a characteristic of the chili I want to duplicate, so it's part of the deal. So yeah, in my ideal personal chili recipe, tumeric wouldn't play a role, but it is common in chili, and to meet my goals with this recipe, it appears to be essential.

Thanks again.
Steven.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Thanks, Salt and Pepper! mmmmm, bacon! I love that. That's a great tip, along with simmering. I will definitely incorporate increased simmering in the next batch, and maybe bacon fat, but not as likely since we don't keep it in the house. Perhaps my ground beef is fatty enough to fry with out the vegetable oil.

Thanks again.
Steven.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtThis View Post
If you do post the recipe, I'll be interested to read it.
Here it is...

Wendy's Chili

2 pounds ground beef
1 29-ounce can of tomato sauce
1 29-ounce can of kidney beans
1 29-ounce can of pinto beans
1 diced green pepper
1 diced medium onion
1/2 cup diced mild green chiles
1 to 6 diced jalapeno peppers (if heat desired)
1 29-ounce can diced tomatoes or 3 chopped medium tomatoes
2 teaspoons cumin powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar

1. Brown the beef in skillet and drain off the fat.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a crockpot or cook on stovetop.
3. Cook on low for 3-10 hours or on stovetop till done.