"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What should I serve with seared swordfish?

Hi, I'm having trouble deciding what to serve with seared swordfish which I want to do for my dad's birthday... does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Everymom

Grilled zucchini and some saffron rice sounds good to me.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Cook

I dont know alot about swordfish myself, but I googled it and found alot of recipes with mango salsas, and mango marinades. It seems like a reasonable accompaniment.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Head Chef

Pazuzu, it would be good if you can give us other helpful info so that we can give you ideas that have a good chance of working for you... Your question is pretty broad and most any answer (well-thought out ones or not) may work and may also not work.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Well I'm hopefully doing a seared swordfish with salsa from a recipe card I have, but I wasn't entirely sure what went best with it... Thanks for everyones suggestions :)
Old 07-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu
Hi, I'm having trouble deciding what to serve with seared swordfish which I want to do for my dad's birthday... does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Welcome to DC Pazuzu. This recipe is for halibut, but the sides of strawberry salsa and asparagus, I think, would be refreshing with fish. Another go-with -- rice timbales. Diced avocado mixed into the strawberry salsa is another thought.

Grilled Halibut with Strawberry Salsa

Here's a peek at a mushroom/rice timbale:

Wild Mushroom and Rice Timbales

What are some of your dad's favorite foods? I would try to work them into the menu.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

I do seared swordfish steaks with spicy tomato salsa frequently & have served them with sides of Yellow or Spanish rice (the Zatarain's brand is good if you don't want to bother making your own like I usually don't - lol!!), along with a mixed green salad with vinegarette dressing, & a good artisinal-style bread with herb butter.

Other times when I've wanted to include a vegetable, I've done kebabs of grilled (or broiled) chunks of yellow & zucchini summer squash, removed from the kebabs when done & tossed with some extra-virgin olive oil & chopped fresh basil, salt, & freshly ground black pepper.

I'm not a big fan of fruit salsas, but if that's what you're doing, you could make the meal a bit "Caribbean" & serve a "beans & rice" side (again - the Zatarain's brand makes good ones) instead of plain yellow or tomatoey Spanish rice. All else could remain the same, but you could probably add a bit of hot pepper to the squash to counteract the sweetness of the fruit in the salsa.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks all who have replied. I think I will use some rice of some variety, a tomato salsa and maybe some grilled vegetables. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Cook

I was actually watching tv yesterday, and saw a chef fry some dandelion greens with fennel, shallots and vermouth and served it with swordfish.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

I've never been able to warm up to dandelion greens. While I do love broccoli raab & arugula, dandelion greens are just too bitter for my taste, no matter how they're prepared. But, to each his own.

Years ago my mom made her own "Dandelion Wine", & had us kids out in the fields picking bushels of the blossoms for it. What fun!!! Lol!!!! However, once she found out how much we hated the greens, she gave up on serving those.