What to do with Black Truffles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? Which ones are not made chemically? I'd like to know. I was told otherwise, and it would be good to know the good from the bad.

I read an article a while back that said some companies are using different artificial flavorings in their oils. If you research the companies that make it you will find some that use some sort of truffle product. Otherwise, there is no law saying what has to be listed as ingredients yet.

Page 1 (Pictures of truffle prices and wonderment why they cost so much): I've never gotten the big deal about truffles. I've worked with them on more than one occasion and never really felt they added a whole heck of a lot to any dish...and certainly not for what they cost.

Page 2/3: I've also worked with both kinds of truffle oils: the basically artificial stuff and the real McCoy...can't really tell the difference between them. Course, nowadays the only thing I really use truffle oil for is mashed potatoes.

Hi June, nice to see you! where is your standard avatar? load it up so we can all see your pretty face, as of now they just see my ugly mug!:cool:

alot of truffle oils are made with Bismethylithiomethane, that sounds like your dumping alot of chemicals on your plate, But Bismethylithiomethane is the exact natural chemical that is found in fresh truffles. Even if you make truffle oil with nothing but truffles and olive oil, the product will still contain Bismethylithiomethane. Its a chemical yes, but so is water.

Now arguements aside if someone offered me two bottles, one synthasized in a plant and one made naturally. I of course am going to take the natural one. but before we get up in arms lets see the facts. Sure its produced in a plant, but so is alot of the water we drink. Bismethawatchmacallit may sound like a death dealing chemical, but what about Dihydrogen monoxide? would you ingest it?? sounds chemical doesn't it?? you know what? its freakin water!

the slow food article and banning of truffles oils may sound noble. but look at the people wanting to ban them, its the people who sale truffles! Gee you think they have an agenda?

I'm big into natural and organic products, but I'm also big into people trying to make a buck off our fears. People take advantage of folks who want to buy natural and organic by putting fears into them about various products. These people are just as bad if not worst than people making unorganic products.

Last edited:
Hi Finch! Glad you finally showed up here. Dave loaded my photo elsewhere. I don't know how to copy it from my web site, which is what he did.

I didn't say I don't use truffle oil... I just think folks should know that there aren't real truffles in it.... the cost would be prohibitive. and if I've got real truffles, I'm NOT using them to make oil! :ermm:

Hi June, nice to see you! where is your standard avatar? load it up so we can all see your pretty face, as of now they just see my ugly mug!:cool:

alot of truffle oils are made with Bismethylithiomethane, that sounds like your dumping alot of chemicals on your plate, But Bismethylithiomethane is the exact natural chemical that is found in fresh truffles. Even if you make truffle oil with nothing but truffles and olive oil, the product will still contain Bismethylithiomethane. Its a chemical yes, but so is water.

Now arguements aside if someone offered me two bottles, one synthasized in a plant and one made naturally. I of course am going to take the natural one. but before we get up in arms lets see the facts. Sure its produced in a plant, but so is alot of the water we drink. Bismethawatchmacallit may sound like a death dealing chemical, but what about Dihydrogen monoxide? would you ingest it?? sounds chemical doesn't it?? you know what? its freakin water!

the slow food article and banning of truffles oils may sound noble. but look at the people wanting to ban them, its the people who sale truffles! Gee you think they have an agenda?

I'm big into natural and organic products, but I'm also big into people trying to make a buck off our fears. People take advantage of folks who want to buy natural and organic by putting fears into them about various products. These people are just as bad if not worst than people making unorganic products.

Well said.

Fincher is my hero with that post.

Anyway, I use truffle oil once in a blue moon, usually just to toss freshly made potatoes in.

Anyway, as for the fresh truffles, sear some big diver scallops and grate the truffles overtop them.

Hi there,
how about truffled scambled eggs - buy a box of eggs. In the UK the smallest quantity is 6 eggs per box. Remove one egg from the box and place the truffle in the box. Leave the box for a few days, through a process of osmosis the truffle flavour permeates through to the eggs so when you make scrambled eggs they taste of truffles. I can`t honestly remember exactly how long the eggs and truffles should be left together. Hopefully, someone else will be able to add to the thread and i`ll see if i can find out.

Regards,
Archiduc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom