What to do with parsley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I hardly ever buy parsley, because they come in big bundles that wilts as soon as you get home and will rot in a week. I grow parsley at home but right now the summer heat keeps them from growing.

SO now I have a big bundle of flag leaf parsley sitting in the fridge, used occasionally and sparely for pasta, and waiting to rot.

Does anyone have ideas on how to eat these parley quickly? I only know of one which is tabbouli, but I'm kind of tired of it now :)

You can make pesto - use it in place of basil. You can freeze it if you don't want to use it all right away.

Last edited:
Chop, put in an ice cube tray with a bit of water, and freeze. Pop out later and keep it in a freezer bag.

I hardly ever buy parsley, because they come in big bundles that wilts as soon as you get home and will rot in a week. I grow parsley at home but right now the summer heat keeps them from growing.

SO now I have a big bundle of flag leaf parsley sitting in the fridge, used occasionally and sparely for pasta, and waiting to rot.

Does anyone have ideas on how to eat these parley quickly? I only know of one which is tabbouli, but I'm kind of tired of it now :)

More like what can't you do with parsley..lol! I love parsley :)

Add it chopped to soups, mix into mashed potato, make a creamy parsley soup, put some under the chicken skin when roasting with butter, make a lemon, parsley butter with garlic for fish, parsley mayo is a good dip for goujons (chicken or fish), great in any cheese dish.
You could also freeze it, chop finely and mix with a bit of water. Freeze in ice trays and when you need parsley just pop a cube or 2 into the dish!
Make a parsley tea with lemon for good health or parsley jelly like you would make mint jelly etc.

I'm like Snip13. For me, just as with garlic, it's extremely rare that a day goes by when I don't cook something that requires Italian flat-leaf parsley.

Since I started using those green bags for produce, my parsley stays good for an amazing amount of time. Finally a product that actually works!! At the start of the infomercial they were really expensive, and now I find them at the Dollar Store.

I'm like Snip13. For me, just as with garlic, it's extremely rare that a day goes by when I don't cook something that requires Italian flat-leaf parsley.

I only started freezing since I planted parsley from seed and ended up with 57 plants..lol! Too much for even me. Parsley, garlic, chilies and lemon I can't go without in my kitchen :)

You can make a lovely Parsley soup. Chop the parsley, add it to 6 c chicken stock (well, this is based on 6 bunches of parsley--flat and curly), garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until the parsley is wilted. Swirl the parsley and stock in a blender, add 1-1/2 c dry curd cottage cheese. Garnish with fresh parsley and a bit of lemon zest. This freezes will b/4 you add the cottage cheese.

I ended up making a chimichurri lol, it was very good.

thanks guys and gals!

I use it in buttered egg noodles, very simple and satidfying side dish.

Back
Top Bottom