"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Scout badge - (age 7): Fried Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes, Peas, Blackberries with sauce on Ice Cream.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The first thing I made was chocolate pudding. It was from a box and was the kind you cook, since they didn't even have instant pudding then. I think I was 13 or 14, and I decided to surprise my family with it. I wanted to express myself and be creative, so I added walnuts and marshmallows to it. My first meal was hamburger stew. I was around the same age, and my mom told me the steps as I made it. The first time she had made it was in the Girl Scouts. I still make it a couple times a year.

Barbara

Old 09-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
Head Chef

baked chicken I think or cookies- I started cooking when I was about 10 -12 yrs old. Alway was in the kitchen w/ my mom and probably got under foot and she gave me something to do.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My first dish was an attempt to make a Hamburger Helper type of meal using cream of soup, hamburger, onion and macaroni or egg noodles. Depending of the type of soup, I seasoned it with sour cream (mushroom soup) for stroganoff, or Italian seasoning (tomato soup).

It was tasty and easy so I tried all different combinations. We just called it goop!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I started cooking, out of necessity, for my family when I was 8-years-old and can't honestly remember the first thing I cooked. Been at it ever since.

All along the way, though, I baked many, many cakes, cookies and pies since my siblings and my father all had the biggest sweet tooth/teeth in the universe.

Guess one of the favorites my youngest brother still talks about and requests is my potato soup.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't remember. Not even the littlest clue.

Unless you count chocolate chip pancakes I used to make for the girls when they were little.
I guess the memories are buried a little deeper so take longer for me to bring them to the surface.

After thinking about this for a bit, I have to say I still don't remember what was first. I can tell you that I regularly cooked as a Boy Scout on camping trips. That was usually basic stuff. Meat on a skewer, baked potato in the coals, etc. On special occasions, we'd roast a chicken on a spit over an open fire. Those are my earliest memories.

We did discover that we couldn't fry an egg on aluminum foil over an open fire.

At home, Mom started me cooking by having me make a cake mix for dessert ("If you want dessert, make it yourself". I always wanted dessert).
Old 09-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I guess the memories are buried a little deeper so take longer for me to bring them to the surface.

After thinking about this for a bit, I have to say I still don't remember what was first. I can tell you that I regularly cooked as a Boy Scout on camping trips. That was usually basic stuff. Meat on a skewer, baked potato in the coals, etc. On special occasions, we'd roast a chicken on a spit over an open fire. Those are my earliest memories.

We did discover that we couldn't fry an egg on aluminum foil over an open fire.

At home, Mom started me cooking by having me make a cake mix for dessert ("If you want dessert, make it yourself". I always wanted dessert).
I didn't get to be in the scouts! My big brother did! I went to one of his meetings and beat up the scout leaders kid.I don't remember why but that was the the extent of my scouting.I know I missed out!I was probabaly 7 or 8.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Polish style pigs in the blanket...just last year. Never, ever cooked before except for heating up things. I really think being in the kitchen is fascinating especially cleaning up things in the kitchen when things are cooking.

Growing up we called them gowomkies(sp)<--- and that would be spelling it the way I say it.

Yes they are labor intensive but us retired guys got to find indoor things to do when it raining.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

I don't think this will be of any surprise to anyone - cake

....no really! The first thing I learned to make was a lazy daisy (or hot milk) cake. I guess the rest is history!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Eggs fried overeasy in a CI skillet at 8.