What was the first dish you learned to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think this will be of any surprise to anyone - cake :rolleyes:

....no really! The first thing I learned to make was a lazy daisy (or hot milk) cake. I guess the rest is history!
I figured your first cake was a wedding cake for Barbie and Ken. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I think it is great that you started making cakes so young! You sure make some nice ones now!

:)Barbara

i'd have to say it was grilling over coals from a campfire as a boy scout. and geez does that bring back a bad memory.

i remember a particular camping trip on sandy hook island where a cold october rain soaked us for the entire three days. the wind was so bad that it whipped up the wet sand, stinging your face and getting into everything, making it even more uncomfortable.

but the worst part was that, for some ungodly reason, we brought chicken to grill instead of the usual burgers and hot dogs.

since everything was soaked and the wind fierce, we could barely keep a fire going, even inside one of the old bunkers that used to house huge cannons which protected ny harbor during the second world war.

undaunted, we still tried to cook the chicken. after an hour over what little fire we could produce, the chicken "looked" done, and we were starving so everyone just grabbed a piece and chowed down.

on burnt but mostly raw chicken, covered in sand. :(

i'm amazed that no one got sick from it. all of that wet sand must have killed off the salmonella, lol.

i'd have to say it was grilling over coals from a campfire as a boy scout. and geez does that bring back a bad memory.

Not me.
I was 12 years old...cooking a midnight snack of toast from a little foldable sterno stove from a sleeping bag in a clear plastic made tube tent halfway thru a 2 day 30 mile Boy Scout hike.
Toast tastes good in the woods when you cook it yourself. I learned that.

Last edited:
I wanted an easy bake oven so bad but Mom just taught me how to use the real thing instead. The first thing I remember making on my own, I must have been around 9 or 10. I got a kid's cookbook and made the meatloaf recipe. Had mashed potatoes and green beans with it.

I wanted an easy bake oven so bad but Mom just taught me how to use the real thing instead. The first thing I remember making on my own, I must have been around 9 or 10. I got a kid's cookbook and made the meatloaf recipe. Had mashed potatoes and green beans with it.

LOL! When I got the Easy Bake Oven, my mother could only bake. She knew how to cook goulash and baked chicken. It wasn't until i got my hands on a cookbook that the fun started and our menu widened. Mom was glad to give up the reins, she still hates to cook.

When I was little like 4 or 5 I made this "tea" by mixing all of my Nana's spices together with 2 tea bags. It made this really pretty ruby color. I don't think it was very good. But my Nana did try it.

Joy

actual dinner was tuna-noodle casserole; other than that, i was in that kitch most days from my earliest days

Probably this. I don't really remember since I started pretty young. Might have been a boxed cake, tuna salad or jello if you count that as cooking.

Turning on the stove or cutting things up counts as cooking.:chef: Sometimes, even dialing the phone for delivery counts as cooking, if who washes the dishes has a bearing on the matter.:LOL:

Turning on the stove or cutting things up counts as cooking.:chef: Sometimes, even dialing the phone for delivery counts as cooking, if who washes the dishes has a bearing on the matter.:LOL:

If dialing for delivery counts then I'm practically an executive chef! I'm really good at it. :LOL:

I can't remember if I had an easy bake oven or my girlfriend did - we had such fun with it though.

My firsts - cinnamon toast, rice pudding, meatloaf, creamed something on toast - can't be sure but hard boiled eggs & white sauce (Penny's in a can - yuk)

scrambled eggs

The first cooking I remember was constantly stirring the pudding or gravy or white sauce for my mom until it thickened.

I was cooking bacon and scrambling eggs for myself very early, and I remember I'd get up early Sunday morning and bake a coffee cake from scratch while my folks were still in bed.

For an entree, I learned how to cut up and poach a chicken from Julia Child, a recipe I still use.

My mother was always a good cook/baker & liked to have the kitchen to herself. I had a bit of a weight problem as a young teen and the thing that comes to mind is a healthy turkey chili. It turned out REALLY good & I was finally taking control of what I ate :)

The first thing I remember cooking was either boiled eggs or mashed potatoes. One of my brothers loosened the cap on the salt and as a result the potatoes were wretched. As for the egg, well it was probably still on the ceiling of the kitchen when they torn the house down. I forgot it was boiling and it exploded. Mom never taught me a thing about cooking but she was not a good cook, always hated it. But in her defense she did bake well.

Back
Top Bottom