Why Do You Cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Why do you cook?

• I feel like a chef: I can eat high quality food that's exactly the way I want it.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I feel like a chef: I enjoy the process as much as the results. (

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • It's economical (i.e., cheaper than paying for someone else's food).

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Dietary reasons: I can make food I like within my restrictions.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • My family needs to eat and my private chef is on strike.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
I've been cooking since I was very young also. Today it's a little force of habit and a little adventure. The intrigue covers nutrition, vintage foods, sleuthing
restaurant specialties, and processes. But cooking for me extends on to wine, beer, beverage making and also building cooking equipment.

It's all part of a creative process I enjoy that pays off with good health, and a positive outlook.

I cooked some, in my Mom's kitchen, but I didn't really get into it until I went away, and I joined a co-op the first year in college. This was to save money, but I also quickly learned that the best way to save money was to cook from scratch, which also resulted in the best food! This was when I started cooking a lot of legumes, and baking bread. This was also when I started collecting cookbooks - about once a month there were those tractor trailers full of used books that would set up on a weekend, with every kind of book imaginable.

Simply put, the reason I cook is that I love good food! Same reason that I garden - it's not that I love to garden, it's the results, as most things I grow you can't find in stores, or are much better, as with tomatoes and herbs.

Last edited:
Why Do I Cook?

God love my Mother, she was never a very good cook.

Even as a child, I knew that it HAD TO BE better than what was put down in front of me and I was made to eat.
"There's starving children in China, EAT IT!"

I wanted to cook my own food before I could even reach the stovetop.

I read cookbooks like others read novels.
Then cooking shows came to Television.
After that, the Internet.

As I made my way through life and had my own disposable income, I would go out to eat.
I started to think, how can I make this dish at home for far less money?
I would ask a lot of questions of Chefs/Cooks and weasel out their secrets.
You'd be surprised how much they will indulge a single woman dining alone :LOL:

And there's the whole, trying to cook foods from back home.
Sometimes this can be very difficult, what with trying to find the ingredients here on the mainland, in the middle of the desert.
But I've figured out many dishes from Hawaii that I would have just gone out and got take out.

I love to eat, I love to cook, but I hate the clean up :ROFLMAO:

For me its the satisfaction you get from seeing people enjoy the food you have created!

New Experience

My father cooked the same dishes for the last 19 years. Fried porkchops, Sinigang (sour pork broth or chicken broth), kare kare, milk fish, etc of anything filipino.

I started cooking for myself at 17 because I wanted something new, and so my hardcore addiction to Italian food started there with alfredo and spaghetti al nero di seppia

Back
Top Bottom