"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Woodstove Cooking

I live in my grandfather's old hunting cabin and its not wired for a electric or gas stove, so I have a woodstove. I have gotten the top figured out but the two ovens leave me dumb. I have tried baking things in them, and I have to use a thermomter constantly and it works ok but I have a rough time with it.
Any help? Sure would love some help. I have all cast iron cookware my mom gave me and my bread turns out ok and so does meatloaf but some other things haven't and I used my crockpot. I want to learn to use this stove better because Mom says its best for cooking but I ask her, she says heck if I know so not a lot of help there.
Any ideas? Can I use it as a regular stove? People have told me I can but I don't know how. Nobody seems to be able to tell me how.
Help please?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I really, really can't help you with your question but I give you great big "kudos" for persevering and trying to work with what you have. However, I am a bit curious. If the property doesn't have electricity, as you say, how are you able to use your crock-pot?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I do have electricity, it's just not wired for a electric stove. I have 120 but not 240 for a stove or a refirgerater. I have a tiny fridge that I plugged in and I don't have a washer or dryer or dishwasher or anything and the cabin has a little fusebox and it would cost a lot to get a electrician in here to redo the cabin at about $2000 so I think I'm better off for now just with I have.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, but you still have a challenge and you seem to be approaching it with optimism. Good for you. Not many folks would do what you are doing.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Hi, Erinny...it actually sounds like you're doing pretty well with your wood stove. It just takes a lot of practice and patience...and a good thermometer. I learned to cook on my grandmas coal stove in Pennsylvania, although not strictly out of necessity. The stove part is easy...the fire part takes time to figure out how to achieve and maintain the desired temperature. Keep after it.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Well I was gifted with the cabin and the three acres with it and I am planning a garden too and I was real proud to have it! Imagine it, not so many people are so blessed. My sister got a nice two story house with everything but that is normal she is older.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Hi Gadzooks, I do have a good thermometer and I try to make things ok but it is a challenge and your right the fire part is hard. Mine is wood and I have to make sure the fire is right so that the temperture is right.
Sometimes when I try a roast I have to keep poking the thermometer in it. Isn't there an easier way?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

Sounds like you are doing pretty good. The trick with wood stoves is you have to start the fire early and let it 'coal' out a bit before using it. Two things that you will do a lot of is use your thermometer constantly and learn to use indirect heat. I don't know how big your stove is, but usually you need to start the fire off to the side and let it build up good, then use the thermometer to find a spot that fits your baking needs temp wise.
Again, not knowing much about your stove it is hard to give advice, but think of it as baking on a grill, your vents are a big help in keeping a constant temp as you go along.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I use one of these sometimes in BBQing where fire control is a must. I would think fire control would be very important in using your wood fired stove/oven.

Have Fun !!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Hey, Erinny, I'm thinking two thermometers. One can be a meat thermometer that measures the internal temperature of your food, and should probably be the kind you can leave in while the food cooks. The other thermometer would be for oven temperature, one that you can move around in the oven to find hot spots and cool spots, so you know how that oven cooks. It would clue you for better fire control, too. What Uncle Bob said.