"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Yeast Dough

Hi Everyone,
The school year is about to begin and my food snob 11 year old son won't eat the school lunches. So, I've decided to make my own Hot Pockets. I've got a great filling in mind. A chicken curry that I'll make thicker to behave better in the pocket. What I'm looking for now is a nice yeast dough recipe. I don't want a pizza dough, too oily. And I don't want a pastry dough, too flaky. Thanks so much!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Not sure but you might be able to work with this. Make the rounds, then fill and fold in half "empanada" style. Then bake instead of grill. You may have to experiment a little.

Better-than-pita Grill Bread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Adapted from Gourmet
Yield: Makes 10 servings

Summary:

Cooking these flatbreads in a grill pan gives them a smoky flavor.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fast-acting yeast
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water (105-115F)
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon beaten egg

Directions:

Whisk together flour (2 cups), sugar, salt, and yeast in a bowl until combined. Whisk together water, oil, and egg in another bowl until combined well, then stir into flour mixture until a shaggy dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead, working in just enough additional flour to keep dough from sticking, about 2 minutes (dough will not be smooth). Form dough into a ball and put in an oiled bowl, turning to coat, then let rest in bowl, uncovered, in a warm draft-free place 10 minutes.

Cut dough into 10 pieces and form each into a ball. Working with 1 piece at a time, flatten balls, then roll out into 6-inch rounds (less than 1/8 inch thick) on lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin.

Preheat grill pan or skillet over moderately high heat just until smoking, then reduce heat to moderate and grill bread rounds, 1 at a time, turning once, until marks appear and bread is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Keep breads warm, wrapped in a cloth napkin.

Notes:

Cooks' notes: If you have a 2-burner grill pan, you can grill 2 bread rounds at a time.

Bread can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Reheat bread, loosely wrapped in foil, in a 350F oven until heated through.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks .40, You're a peach! I think this is gonna be great. I'm making a big batch and freezing them, so all I have to do is heat in the oven and throw in his lunch pack. Thanks again!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Executive Chef

This is a recipe for the original Pasty dough - the dough the Cornish coal miner's wives used to fill with both sweet and savory concoctions the miners would take down with them into the mines for their mid-shift meal. It suits your purposes perfectly.

(Yeast dough is primarily used for making bread or rolls, but not for the kind of "container dough" that you say you're looking for.)

Pasty Crust:
4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup solid vegetable shortening or lard
1 1/3 cups chilled water

Preheat oven to 425.

In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut vegetable shortening into flour mixture until particles are the size of small peas.

Sprinkle in water, a little at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry dough almost cleans side of bowl. Form dough into a ball and cut dough into 6 sections

On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out each section into 6 x 8-inch rectangles.

Fill 1/2 of the rectangle, fold and seal by rolling the edge. Place pasties onto a large ungreased baking sheet. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown; remove from oven.

Makes 6 pasties.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I got it... A yeast dough would be too light/ fluffy to hold up to the heavy filling. I'm so excited! If anyone runs into my son, John, could they please remind him how much his mom loves him. I couldn't imagine my mom doing this for me. Well, off to Wegman's. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Not that my mom didn't love me, just not into this kinda thing.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

So I made the chicken curry last Saturday and made the Pastie dough the next day and assembled. I made 20 altogether, baked and frozen. John said the crust was "funny". But, still, better than the cafeteria food. I found this recipe for a meat pie and I'll try this next. I might make Ina's beef bourguignon and use the leftover stew for filling.Runza (meat pies) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
I got it... A yeast dough would be too light/ fluffy to hold up to the heavy filling. I'm so excited! If anyone runs into my son, John, could they please remind him how much his mom loves him. I couldn't imagine my mom doing this for me. Well, off to Wegman's. Thank you!
I disagree. Pizza shops everywhere use pizza dough (a yeast dough) to make calzones. Calzones are meat/cheese/veggie filled turnovers-just what you're looking for.

I don't think pizza dough has to be "oily". It might be worth a try. You can usually buy a wad of pizza dough for a couple of bucks at pizza places. Use it to experiment. If you want to make your own, you can reduce or eliminate the oil.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Hi Everyone,
The school year is about to begin and my food snob 11 year old son won't eat the school lunches. So, I've decided to make my own Hot Pockets. I've got a great filling in mind. A chicken curry that I'll make thicker to behave better in the pocket. What I'm looking for now is a nice yeast dough recipe. I don't want a pizza dough, too oily. And I don't want a pastry dough, too flaky. Thanks so much!
Nothing beats crusty brown bread made from wholemeal flour, this glorious sandwich bread packed out with scrummy slices of roast chicken - leg meat because it tastes miles better than breast meat - and slices of tomato with a generous dollop of Hellmans.

Jill my 13 yo daughter went rather pernickety and food snobby, so I said if that's your problem, then you can jolly well make you own darned sandwiches yourself. So she made what I've suggested. And the ace in the hole, is - she makes all her own sarnies ever since.

Don't pander to your child, or you'll never win.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Hi There,
This pitta pocket recipe is really easy.
I have made it loads of times.....I usually make 2 or 3 batches and then freeze them. Then you have a good supply ready at any time.
Top Basic Pitta Bread Recipe - Authentic Frugal Mediterranean Recipe
Very best regards,
Pamspies