Yeast extraction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's yeast that's been broken down and the cell walls removed. It serves as a flavor enhancer. Yeast extract contains glutimates that provide the umami flavor to foods.

Not sure how it's a bad thing.

Yeast Extract = MSG

I think it's just bad in the fact of how it's been overly processed? It's not a naturally occurring process, so maybe some digestive systems don't recognize it.

If you check a site that doesn't have an agenda, you'll find that yeast extract contains glutamic acid. Glutamic acid not MSG.

If you check a site that doesn't have an agenda, you'll find that yeast extract contains glutamic acid. Glutamic acid not MSG.

It's hard to ever find a write-up that isn't biased :)

I believe some of my nutritional healing friends actually use yeast extract.

I personally try to keep something like this out of my diet because I don't personally need more yeast in my diet (working to eliminate candida currently). I wouldn't mind reading some more research on it all though!

Yeast Extract = MSG

I think it's just bad in the fact of how it's been overly processed? It's not a naturally occurring process, so maybe some digestive systems don't recognize it.

Ice cream isn't a naturally occurring process either. Neither are pickles, salami or olives. So what?

From the article: "a Google search will give you page after page of people describing the terrible experience they go through when consuming MSG."

No kidding. A Google search for anything will give you zillions of results - not all of them are equally valid. Learn to choose which sites give valid, reliable information and search on those.

Attachments

• simpsons-i will not blindly trust info.jpg.jpeg
    simpsons-i will not blindly trust info.jpg.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 236
Here's an extract(!) from the May Clinic website: Monosodium glutamate (MSG): Is it harmful? - Mayo Clinic

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — include:

• Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG.

MSG has been in general use in some Asian countries for quite some time with no issues.

Here's an extract(!) from the May Clinic website: Monosodium glutamate (MSG): Is it harmful? - Mayo Clinic

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — include:

• Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG.

MSG has been in general use in some Asian countries for quite some time with no issues.
I never knowingly buy anything with MSG in it. Nothing to do with ill effects, I just hate the taste. People tell me that it's tasteless but for me it isn't.

Ok thanks for that. I think I will avoid this and stick to plain old over the counter yeast. Thanks.

I, for one, shall continue to enjoy Marmite, even though I am the only person I know that enjoys it. :LOL:
There's a school of thought that says that if you start eating it as a small child you'll like it as an adult but if you don't embark on it until you're grown up you'll probably never take to it.

Personally I don't like it but I keep a jar in as it's popular with some of my friends.

I had my first taste of Vegemite as an adult and love the stuff. I have friends in Australia who send it to me regularly.

Just recently found it available here in town, now we can save shipping charges.

There's a school of thought that says that if you start eating it as a small child you'll like it as an adult but if you don't embark on it until you're grown up you'll probably never take to it.

Personally I don't like it but I keep a jar in as it's popular with some of my friends.
I am another who didn't discover Vegemite or Marmite until just a few years ago. I had a friend who traveled to Australia and brought back some of those little packages of Vegemite that they give out at fast food places during breakfast. Love the stuff!
Since then I discovered that the Farm Fresh grocery store in the town where I used to work carries Marmite.
I enjoy it mightily -- Mrs Hoot and others not so much.

I am another who didn't discover Vegemite or Marmite until just a few years ago. I had a friend who traveled to Australia and brought back some of those little packages of Vegemite that they give out at fast food places during breakfast. Love the stuff!
Since then I discovered that the Farm Fresh grocery store in the town where I used to work carries Marmite.
I enjoy it mightily -- Mrs Hoot and others not so much.
One man's treat is another woman's poison. :LOL:

I once went on a tour of a brewery and one of the things we saw was the making of Guinness. The vats were open (it was about 40 years ago - things may have changed now) and the liquid contents had a rich yeast froth on top. The guide asked us to guess what they used the froth for after the Guinness was ready. I wondered if it went to bakers but no, the answer was it went to the Marmite factory to be used in making the black stuff. A rather neat avoidance of waste in the days when re-cycling wasn't common.

I'm one of those people who gets a headache from MSG. It's a very specific, weird "headache". My ex could taste MSG. He liked the taste. :wacko: He would taste gravies and stews in restos and tell me if they were okay for me to eat.

I was once talking to a Jamaican woman who described having that headache. I knew she had just had supper at a resto, so I asked if the resto was Chinese. She said it was. I told her about MSG, but she wouldn't believe me. :ermm:

One man's treat is another woman's poison. :LOL:

I once went on a tour of a brewery and one of the things we saw was the making of Guinness. The vats were open (it was about 40 years ago - things may have changed now) and the liquid contents had a rich yeast froth on top. The guide asked us to guess what they used the froth for after the Guinness was ready. I wondered if it went to bakers but no, the answer was it went to the Marmite factory to be used in making the black stuff. A rather neat avoidance of waste in the days when re-cycling wasn't common.
I'm curious about Marmite. It's the Guinness connection that makes me skeptical. Is Marmite bitter like Guinness?

I'm curious about Marmite. It's the Guinness connection that makes me skeptical. Is Marmite bitter like Guinness?
According to the following article, from 2007, Guinness Marmite was a limited edition of Marmite. Marmite is yeast extract and salt. Guinness yeast extract made up 30% of Guinness Marmite. I 'spect it was pretty good.
Tasting Guinness Marmite

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom