Sourdough - King Arthur question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
King Arthur's recipe for Sourdough Bread being done in a bread machine is still using yeast.
Does anyone know why?

I suspect "done in a bread machine" is the culprit.

bread machines work on a timer - "starter(s)" do not . . .
as mentioned, potentially starter for flavor and yeast 'to be sure'
perhaps someday AI bread machines will learn 'when it has doubled in bulk' . . . ?

I've had multiple bread machines over the years ( . . . the gift for thems thats got everything already . . . ) and they have all been exiled / gotten rid of . . .

i always make my sourdough with added yeast. i don't have any wild yeast floating around in my NYC apt.

I did not have a bread machine for many, many years. I would still prefer to do by hand but... the shoulders, elbows, wrist and knuckles say otherwise. Broke down last year and got one - A lot of trial and error but I'm happy with it now.

Had a 'chat' with King Arthur per Andy's suggestion. As said, machines are not programmed for long fermentation hence the added boost from the sour dough.

I made some yesterday but was not a success. Will stick with manual for sourdough at least.

but can have it kneaded in there, then let it rise, then cold proof in your fridge for as long as you want to. if you're baking it in your oven, rather than the bread machine, you can do what you like.

That is pretty much what I did yesterday Sara - didn't rise at all the last time.

I got perfect weighted discs for the Tri-athelon.

i always make my sourdough with added yeast. i don't have any wild yeast floating around in my NYC apt.

just a note . . . .
it was once widely accepted/assumed that "wild yeast floating around" was responsible for the morphing of "yeast1" to "yeast2"

now with DNA testing, it seems the "wild yeast" is not "floating around" but actually a result of yeast spores 'contained' in the flour one uses. basically, yeast floating around in the fields planted/growing "wheat"

<sigh> . . . and 'very difficult' aka 'essentially impossible' for the end user to control.

but however and so forth . . . do note that 'big name' bakeries very carefully control / breed / replicate their yeasts in 'sterile' laboratory conditions to ensure the same flavors/results over time. they don't do "random yeast experiments"

the beer brewers take the same 'extreme' measures -

yeasts make a difference!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom