Your Best Homemade Pizza Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianMeg

Senior Cook
I've read through a lot of the pizza threads already, but didn't find one like this so let me toss this out.

What are your favourite little tips, tricks and notes for making homemade pizza? I want to hear what make it better.

Mine are
* add spices to the dough when I'm making it (usually basil and oregano)
* brush the whole crust with olive oil for a bit more flavour/better cooking before adding sauce and toppings
* use a preheated pizza stone

I've read through a lot of the pizza threads already, but didn't find one like this so let me toss this out.

What are your favourite little tips, tricks and notes for making homemade pizza? I want to hear what make it better.

Mine are
* add spices to the dough when I'm making it (usually basil and oregano)
* brush the whole crust with olive oil for a bit more flavour/better cooking before adding sauce and toppings
* use a preheated pizza stone

hey , that is what I do too ! :)

Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes before topping and baking again. If I don't do this, the crust ends up damp and "doughy."

Last edited:
the Dough, the Dough, the Dough!
get that right and the correct cheese you Laughing! it`s all plain sailing after that ;)

the construction is really just a matter of preferences in all honesty, I pref to put the Drier things (anchovies, pepperoni, mixed meats, spices) Under the cheese and the moist things (peppers onions olives tomato pineapple etc..) on the Top of the cheese.

be generous with the Oregano also ;)

I'm going to try this one this weekend:
No Knead Pizza Dough: Pear and Gorgonzola Flatbread with Baby Arugula and Shaved Parmesan
http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2008/...th-baby-arugula-and-shaved-parmesan/#more-274

I just made the dough , now waiting for the rising. Dough should be ready around 4 pm. I may make flatbread pizza instead of round pizza for a change, not sure yet what I will use for toppings. :chef:

Let us know how you like it. When I make focaccia, I like to put olive oil, Parmesan cheese and rosemary on it, bake about 8 minutes, then top with marinated artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers and bake until browned. Mmmm, I'm talking myself into something for dinner on Sunday :)

Last edited:
oh yeah, and if you can get those non-stick pizza tins with the little holes in the bottom, that helps plenty too :D

oh yeah, and if you can get those non-stick pizza tins with the little holes in the bottom, that helps plenty too :D
I do have that :) as well as a baking stone and that long handled thing , ugh the name escapes me at the moment :ermm:

Let us know how you like it. When I make focaccia, I like to put olive oil, Parmesan cheese and rosemary on it, bake about 8 minutes, then top with marinated artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers and bake until browned. Mmmm, I'm talking myself into something for dinner on Sunday :)

yummy! I have different cheeses I may use, Asagio, Fontinella, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Muenster, Provolone, not sure which ones or what :LOL: So many choices ! I think I have a jar of roasted peppers and jar of mushrooms. I want to use what I have on hand, not sure if I have the artichokes , too lazy to get up and look right now. ;)

yummy! I have different cheeses I may use, Asagio, Fontinella, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Muenster, Provolone, not sure which ones or what :LOL: So many choices ! I think I have a jar of roasted peppers and jar of mushrooms. I want to use what I have on hand, not sure if I have the artichokes , too lazy to get up and look right now. ;)

Post a picture when you're done. It sounds great!
Maybe just the inspiration I need to start making my own.

Back
Top Bottom