"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Sorry, didn't realize it was limited to the pony you're riding right now. The meal I listed has been a favorite since I was a child. Too many favorites I haven't tried yet to have such a narrow focus.
I didn't think it can be other than the "pony you're riding right now". At any time you can eat something new and think that you'd be happy if you had to eat it exclusively for the rest of your life.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm sort of in the same camp as CraigC is. In my nearly 70 years of eating, I can't say I have a favorite favorite of anything. Sometimes it's what I'm eating now.

I haven't even come close to enjoying all the wonderful things to eat that are out there, but I'm giving it my best shot. And my waistline can definitely attest to that.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Favorite meal to cook.

Chicken Marsala. It's delicious, easy to cook and uses just one skillet.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Perhaps it needed clarifying but I thought it was self evident that favourite means current favourite.

I was wondering whether to mention in my OP .... if it were your last meal on earth (for whatever reason). That might focus the mind considerably!
Thanks Creative, that should narrow it down. If I was doomed to be executed, my last meal request would be...

"Surf and Turf"..a perfectly grilled rare fillet of beef wrapped in bacon and a pile of shelled King crab with clarified butter.

A big baked potato with all the trimmings, truffles and bacon too.

Caesar Salad

My mother's Lemon Meringue pie.

A case full of award winning various expensive white wines I've never tasted.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

My tastes are simple. Meatloaf. After that fried Haddock or any seafood. I very rarely eat deserts. Maybe one or two a year. And that has to be mostly fruit.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
Senior Cook

FAVORITE MEALS:
1) Sushi, Miso soup, Asian cole slaw. (I roll my own. Got tired of spending big $$$ for a few bites)
2) char-grilled chicken fajitas (I have a detailed recipe I'll share with you soon)
3) Low country boil (my son does the best job on this meal)

DESSERTS:
1) Dutch Apple pie
2) English trifle
3) Tin roof sundae (vanilla ice cream, salty Spanish peanuts, hot fudge, and whipped cream)
Old 08-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
FAVORITE MEALS:
1) Sushi, Miso soup, Asian cole slaw. (I roll my own. Got tired of spending big $$$ for a few bites)
2) char-grilled chicken fajitas (I have a detailed recipe I'll share with you soon)
3) Low country boil (my son does the best job on this meal)

DESSERTS:
1) Dutch Apple pie
2) English trifle
3) Tin roof sundae (vanilla ice cream, salty Spanish peanuts, hot fudge, and whipped cream)
Fight you for the tin roof sundae! Salty peanuts and fudge - I'd happily go to the "chair" after that.

Why is salted caramel never salty enough to taste the salt?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I am not a "sweets" person, I have to say there is only one dessert that is my favourite and I only make it once a year, in August, during peach season:

Flora B's Peach Cream Pie--TNT 100 years

For meals, well, I just don't make the same meal often enough to call one a favourite, but if I had to choose, I'd say Janssen's Temptation.

Au Gratin Potatoes - the perfect recipe?

I've never served these two dishes at the same time and I don't have any others that are favourites because it can be 2-3 years before I repeat a recipe. So many things to cook, not enough time. I make cole slaw and potato salad a few times a year, but not because they are favs, just because I have the ingredients available and they work with what I'm making.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving dinner and dessert has to be my all time favorite meal. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing fresh rolls, gravy, homemade cranberry relish. Then pies for dessert, I love pie.

I am a big fan of autumn flavors!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Fight you for the tin roof sundae! Salty peanuts and fudge - I'd happily go to the "chair" after that.

Why is salted caramel never salty enough to taste the salt?
I'd say that the true appeal of salted caramel has fallen victim to trendiness. Salted caramel was originally a salted soft caramel sprinkled with course salt, often fleur de sel. Now just about anything is called "salted caramel" if salt was included in the recipe. I'm a huge fan of sweet and salty, so this bugs me a bit.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dessert, desserts, meals