Supper on this first evening of the weekend, Friday, 2023 August 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
We went out to supper with the brother-in-law. We went to our favourite Greek resto, La Porte Grecque. DH had the oregano chicken. I had the bacon wrapped scallops, and the BIL had souvlaki. the meals come with a salad, rice pilaf, and roast potatoes. DH and I are eliminating nightshades, so we both skipped the roast potatoes, which makes me a little sad - they are soooo good. But, that rice pilaf makes up for it. We had Mateus (Portuguese rosé wine), it's BYOB. For dessert DH had chocolate cake, I had baklava, and the BIL had baklava cheese cake. Very enjoyable outing and meal. We made a quick stop at Sheng Tai, an Asian supermarket very near the resto.

What did you have?

1692418791241.jpeg

with a crunchy romaine and onion salad.
🐷🐷🐷

Chicken Cassoulet 🫠

IMG_0268.jpeg

Cooks Notes:
We used to do a cassoulet in the restaurant but I never liked it at all. Chef insisted on canned beans and powdered stock. Just never tasted right.

This recipe was from Curtis Stone, and it was (no word of a lie) absolutely delightful. The chicken was beautifully moist, the beans a real delight.

I will be adding this to my repertoire, and now that I have done it exactly to the recipe, I can think about how to elevate.

No added salt, I use my own chicken stock which has no added salt anyway. This dish doesn’t need any other spices, apart from the oregano and thyme in the recipe. You won’t be tasting and then adding stuff as you go.

The flavour develops as it cooks, from the fennel, onions and garlic.
It has a very delicate French cooking flavour, but still tastes wonderful.

As always, hit me up if you want the recipe 🫠

Last edited:
Thanks Jade. Marked it!
I would probably use canned, and probably white. Or borlotti should I see them. By the way, we call them Romano Beans in Canada. In the US I believe they are called Cranberry Beans. So funny!

I have all sorts of dried beans in the pantry but they are never used. The few times I've put them to soak, something invariably happens and they never get cooked. So they just sit there in the pantry awaiting some adventurous chef - and I use canned.

@dragnlaw - canned beans would certainly work easily well in this dish. Being my first time to try this recipe, I went with exactly as it was written, as I always do on the first go round.

It can get confusing to know what other countries call things. Coriander = cilantro. Arugula = rocket. I could make a whole thread!

As long as it tastes good, it’s all that matters to me 🫠

My method for dried beans is this:

Put beans in a bowl and cover with water and a bit of salt and some vinegar.
Refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, I will drain all the water off and put in another round of water, leaving it on the bench until cooking time.

Thanks Jade. Marked it!
I would probably use canned, and probably white. Or borlotti should I see them. By the way, we call them Romano Beans in Canada. In the US I believe they are called Cranberry Beans. So funny!

I have all sorts of dried beans in the pantry but they are never used. The few times I've put them to soak, something invariably happens and they never get cooked. So they just sit there in the pantry awaiting some adventurous chef - and I use canned.
Chuck ‘em in the crockpot and let them cook overnight.

Freeze in one pint containers and don’t buy any more! 😉🤭

We had cheese enchiladas and Mexican Rice. Hit the spot!

@Aunt Bea - I love crock pot beans! Thanks for the link...and here's the link to my "fat-free" refried beans: Refried Beans - I always double the recipe and end up with 9 cups that I freeze for future. For me, 4.5 hours on high is just perfect, for these beans. And, I do add a few spices when mashing.

Thanks Jade. Marked it!

Here are methods for cooking beans, which include quick soak and hot soak, both of which are quicker than overnight soaking. BTW, it also gives a conversion for dry beans to cans of beans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom