"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Zucchini Slaw--can I freeze this?

I have frozen cole slaw made with oil and vinegar and bread and butter pickles. I can't think of any reason why I couldn't freeze this (can you tell I'm struggling for ways to do something with bumper zucchini crop other than grinding it for dog/chicken feed)?

Recipe Details

I am thinking of adding fresh coriander when it is thawed but including the tarragon when making it?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

I think the texture would suffer.

IMO the electricity used to try and save a zucchini would be more valuable than the zucchini itself.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of zuchini?

Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Being that I am not a zucchini bread/muffin/cake fan (the truth be told, I'm really not a zucchini fan, but it grows in the garden and what one plants, one should eat...). I have grated it and frozen it to add to meatloaf, etc. That worked. Just wondering if I could make this since it is my favourite way to eat zucchini. And, I have an abundance of French Tarragon.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Being that I am not a zucchini bread/muffin/cake fan (the truth be told, I'm really not a zucchini fan, but it grows in the garden and what one plants, one should eat...). I have grated it and frozen it to add to meatloaf, etc. That worked. Just wondering if I could make this since it is my favourite way to eat zucchini. And, I have an abundance of French Tarragon.
I think I figured out the problem!

Don't plant it!

How about making a batch and freezing a small container for a few days, thaw and eat, if it is not bad then make and freeze a big batch.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Aunt Bea. When the texture is important, as with a raw salad, freezing and thawing will make it watery and limp. I would plan on using chopped or grated zucchini as a minor ingredient, as in a quiche or soup like minestrone.

If you don't like it much, why do you grow it?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I think you can...I remember making zucchini freezer pickles years ago that turned out great..so, I don't think freezing totally destroys the texture. I know this isn't what you are making but here is a recipe for freezer pickles that shows how to keep the zucchini crunchy..I think the vinegar is the secret, Not sure....Simple Farmstead Cooking: Quick and Easy Freezer Zucchini Pickles
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Rock! The freezer b&b pickles I've made worked great. And, fwiw, I'm not the one who plants all those zucchini plants but I seem to have gotten stuck with the weekend's harvest from those plants.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Executive Chef

When I have had an abundance of zucchini, I have frozen it to use later for zucchini bread. The bread did not turn out right. I think the frozen zucchini ended up having too much water in it, even though I squeezed the water out after defrosting it. The bread was edible, but sunk in the middle.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
When I have had an abundance of zucchini, I have frozen it to use later for zucchini bread. The bread did not turn out right. I think the frozen zucchini ended up having too much water in it, even though I squeezed the water out after defrosting it. The bread was edible, but sunk in the middle.
I grated it one year, squeezed as much liquid out as I could, and froze it in 1 c "mounds." When I thawed it, I squeezed it again. Seems to me I used it for muffins. The muffins were fine, as I recall.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have frozen cole slaw made with oil and vinegar and bread and butter pickles. I can't think of any reason why I couldn't freeze this (can you tell I'm struggling for ways to do something with bumper zucchini crop other than grinding it for dog/chicken feed)?

Recipe Details

I am thinking of adding fresh coriander when it is thawed but including the tarragon when making it?
Just pack them up in a big box and send them to me. I love zucchini.

My favourite way of cooking them is in a gratin. I boil them whole for 5 minutes (less if they are tiny ones), then slice them thinly. Grease a gratin dish with butter and rub a cut clove of garlic round the dish (don't know why this works but it does). Layer the sliced zucchini with grated cheese (which ever variety you prefer) and salt and pepper and when the dish is full add a topping of grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven at gas mark 5 until the topping is lightly browned and the cheese melted.

Good on it's own as a light lunch or as an accompanying dish for roast meat, grilled (sorry broiled) steak, fish or anything you fancy.

I found this recipe in a cookery book of my Mother's, published in the 1930s so I don't think there is likely to be a copyright issue, especially as I've adapted it somewhat.

Just as a matter of interest, why do you freeze pickles?

Tags
zucchini