"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central Ohio
Posts: 3,131
Cool

HMGgal I went also today and bought the cream! Sizzlin knows how to sell a product! (esp. since I NEVER spend 15.00 on face cream!! I'm a cheap son-of-a-@*#%! when it comes to spending on myself)I'll let you guys know how I like it.
__________________

__________________
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
HMGgal I went also today and bought the cream! Sizzlin knows how to sell a product! (esp. since I NEVER spend 15.00 on face cream!! I'm a cheap son-of-a-@*#%! when it comes to spending on myself)I'll let you guys know how I like it.
Please let me know how you like it. I hope like me you start seeing results sooner then they say you would. I know what you mean regarding the cost of the cream but you know what we deserve it.
__________________

__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Sous Chef
 
JillBurgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 597
I got my first over-the-sink colander this weekend and I am in love with it. I don't know how I ever lived without it! It stretches across my sink front-to-back instead of left-to-right, so I can slide it off to the left and still use the sink in the area next to it. Because of that, I've decided to keep it there even when not in active use.

Yesterday, I also decided it makes a nice dish drying rack. I usually shove most dirties in the DW, but do an occasional bowl/utensil by hand and never have anywhere to dry since we don't use a dish rack. Well this works perfectly for that too.

I was afraid it wouldn't be maneuverable enough to pour food back out of after draining, but that hasn't been a problem as it is lightweight and rectangular, so you can pour from the corner to prevent making a mess.

If you have been thinking about an over-the-sink colander, go for it. Highly recommended!
__________________
JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Half Moon Bay CA
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN View Post
Please let me know how you like it. I hope like me you start seeing results sooner then they say you would. I know what you mean regarding the cost of the cream but you know what we deserve it.
Hey, La Prairie and some others are $325 an ounce (no, I didn't leave any decimal points out) so I think $20-30 is a steal--especially if it works.

We need to change the name of this thread to Enable Me!
__________________
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Half Moon Bay CA
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
I got my first over-the-sink colander this weekend and I am in love with it. I don't know how I ever lived without it! It stretches across my sink front-to-back instead of left-to-right, so I can slide it off to the left and still use the sink in the area next to it. Because of that, I've decided to keep it there even when not in active use.

Yesterday, I also decided it makes a nice dish drying rack. I usually shove most dirties in the DW, but do an occasional bowl/utensil by hand and never have anywhere to dry since we don't use a dish rack. Well this works perfectly for that too.

I was afraid it wouldn't be maneuverable enough to pour food back out of after draining, but that hasn't been a problem as it is lightweight and rectangular, so you can pour from the corner to prevent making a mess.

If you have been thinking about an over-the-sink colander, go for it. Highly recommended!
This sounds like something I need! My sink is weird, though--larger on one side than the other. I usually put a cutting board across it, but it slips and I've some spills and nearly chopped off fingers. I have NO counter space, so this sounds wonderful. Where did you get it? Brand name? Details!!!
__________________
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMGgal View Post
This sounds like something I need! My sink is weird, though--larger on one side than the other. I usually put a cutting board across it, but it slips and I've some spills and nearly chopped off fingers. I have NO counter space, so this sounds wonderful. Where did you get it? Brand name? Details!!!

my sink is the same. why would they put that in, anyway?

babe
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
JillBurgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMGgal View Post
This sounds like something I need! My sink is weird, though--larger on one side than the other. I usually put a cutting board across it, but it slips and I've some spills and nearly chopped off fingers. I have NO counter space, so this sounds wonderful. Where did you get it? Brand name? Details!!!
I'm not sure what the brand name is, but there are so many of them, I don't think it will be a problem to find one. The one I have is stainless mesh, and like the others I've seen, it has expandable/retractable "legs." The legs also have rubberized bottoms to grip onto the edges of the sink. Just give your sink a measure and look at some of the colanders offered on the online shopping sites and you should find a match, even with an uneven sink.
__________________
JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I love Neutrogena Rainbath! Actually, I love all their products.


Something I recommend for the kitchen is an aluminum thawing tray. The one I have one is also a combination stove-top grill and griddle.They really work...the food thaws in half the time.


Around here, we get a cleaning product called Mean Green. It's cheap, and it will clean up the worst gunk.

And for getting grease out of clothes, there's a hand-cleaning product for mechanics called Goop. Just rub it into the grease spot before you wash the clothes, and it's all gone!


Two more things I'd never do without...duct tape and WD 40. It's also good to have a roll of electric fence wire on hand. If you can't do it with one of those, it probably can't be done!
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Half Moon Bay CA
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my sink is the same. why would they put that in, anyway?

babe
Well, I do like the large side because it will handle even my stock pots with ease. I swear, I could take a bath in that thing (the sink--not sure about the stock pot). The other, smaller side is where the disposal is. It all works quite well, actually. If I had counter space and more cabinets, I'd be a happy camper. If one didn't like to cook, and have a gazillion relatives to cook for, this kitchen would probably be alright. As it is, it blows. I'm amazed I can get so much food out of there, actually.
__________________
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
What a great thread! I don't know how many things I've fallen in love with only to have them disappear from the shelves when I need to buy more. I'll have to think of something, but I second the motion on Greased Lightening. My biggest problem with that is that dh keeps stealing it from me to get the grease off his tractor engine when he's cleaning it. Oh, I will tell you something I love - Edy's Pineapple Coconut ice cream. I only buy it when we have company, otherwise I'd probably eat it all.
__________________

__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.