"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews

Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Cool

HMGgal I went also today and bought the cream! Sizzlin knows how to sell a product! (esp. since I NEVER spend 15.00 on face cream!! I'm a cheap son-of-a-@*#%! when it comes to spending on myself)I'll let you guys know how I like it.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
HMGgal I went also today and bought the cream! Sizzlin knows how to sell a product! (esp. since I NEVER spend 15.00 on face cream!! I'm a cheap son-of-a-@*#%! when it comes to spending on myself)I'll let you guys know how I like it.
Please let me know how you like it. I hope like me you start seeing results sooner then they say you would. I know what you mean regarding the cost of the cream but you know what we deserve it.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I got my first over-the-sink colander this weekend and I am in love with it. I don't know how I ever lived without it! It stretches across my sink front-to-back instead of left-to-right, so I can slide it off to the left and still use the sink in the area next to it. Because of that, I've decided to keep it there even when not in active use.

Yesterday, I also decided it makes a nice dish drying rack. I usually shove most dirties in the DW, but do an occasional bowl/utensil by hand and never have anywhere to dry since we don't use a dish rack. Well this works perfectly for that too.

I was afraid it wouldn't be maneuverable enough to pour food back out of after draining, but that hasn't been a problem as it is lightweight and rectangular, so you can pour from the corner to prevent making a mess.

If you have been thinking about an over-the-sink colander, go for it. Highly recommended!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN View Post
Please let me know how you like it. I hope like me you start seeing results sooner then they say you would. I know what you mean regarding the cost of the cream but you know what we deserve it.
Hey, La Prairie and some others are $325 an ounce (no, I didn't leave any decimal points out) so I think $20-30 is a steal--especially if it works.

We need to change the name of this thread to Enable Me!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
I got my first over-the-sink colander this weekend and I am in love with it. I don't know how I ever lived without it! It stretches across my sink front-to-back instead of left-to-right, so I can slide it off to the left and still use the sink in the area next to it. Because of that, I've decided to keep it there even when not in active use.

Yesterday, I also decided it makes a nice dish drying rack. I usually shove most dirties in the DW, but do an occasional bowl/utensil by hand and never have anywhere to dry since we don't use a dish rack. Well this works perfectly for that too.

I was afraid it wouldn't be maneuverable enough to pour food back out of after draining, but that hasn't been a problem as it is lightweight and rectangular, so you can pour from the corner to prevent making a mess.

If you have been thinking about an over-the-sink colander, go for it. Highly recommended!
This sounds like something I need! My sink is weird, though--larger on one side than the other. I usually put a cutting board across it, but it slips and I've some spills and nearly chopped off fingers. I have NO counter space, so this sounds wonderful. Where did you get it? Brand name? Details!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMGgal View Post
This sounds like something I need! My sink is weird, though--larger on one side than the other. I usually put a cutting board across it, but it slips and I've some spills and nearly chopped off fingers. I have NO counter space, so this sounds wonderful. Where did you get it? Brand name? Details!!!

my sink is the same. why would they put that in, anyway?

babe
Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMGgal View Post
I'm not sure what the brand name is, but there are so many of them, I don't think it will be a problem to find one. The one I have is stainless mesh, and like the others I've seen, it has expandable/retractable "legs." The legs also have rubberized bottoms to grip onto the edges of the sink. Just give your sink a measure and look at some of the colanders offered on the online shopping sites and you should find a match, even with an uneven sink.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Master Chef

I love Neutrogena Rainbath! Actually, I love all their products.

Something I recommend for the kitchen is an aluminum thawing tray. The one I have one is also a combination stove-top grill and griddle.They really work...the food thaws in half the time.

Around here, we get a cleaning product called Mean Green. It's cheap, and it will clean up the worst gunk.

And for getting grease out of clothes, there's a hand-cleaning product for mechanics called Goop. Just rub it into the grease spot before you wash the clothes, and it's all gone!

Two more things I'd never do without...duct tape and WD 40. It's also good to have a roll of electric fence wire on hand. If you can't do it with one of those, it probably can't be done!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my sink is the same. why would they put that in, anyway?

babe
Well, I do like the large side because it will handle even my stock pots with ease. I swear, I could take a bath in that thing (the sink--not sure about the stock pot). The other, smaller side is where the disposal is. It all works quite well, actually. If I had counter space and more cabinets, I'd be a happy camper. If one didn't like to cook, and have a gazillion relatives to cook for, this kitchen would probably be alright. As it is, it blows. I'm amazed I can get so much food out of there, actually.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
Executive Chef

What a great thread! I don't know how many things I've fallen in love with only to have them disappear from the shelves when I need to buy more. I'll have to think of something, but I second the motion on Greased Lightening. My biggest problem with that is that dh keeps stealing it from me to get the grease off his tractor engine when he's cleaning it. Oh, I will tell you something I love - Edy's Pineapple Coconut ice cream. I only buy it when we have company, otherwise I'd probably eat it all.