"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Wink

I will buy

Old 06-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Lately I've gotten so that I don't even have any candy bars in the house. I have hard candies in the house and in my purse in case I have a BS low - they taste SO much better than the glucose tabs and/or the gel.
I have had some great adventures with BS. One time in line as I was checking out a large grocery order at Market Basket. I felt myself slipping and ready to fall. All I could say to Spike was, SUGAR! He opened his maple syrup and handed me the bottle. I was guzzling that down. The cashier was staring at the both of us as if we had gone insane. Spike just said "Diabetes." All was well after that.

Another time I had just got off the bus and was crossing the street to go into my home. Sure enough it hit me in the middle of the street. I went down and all traffic came to a halt. The only word I could get out was sugar. Someone gave me a piece of a candy bar. I was fine in just a few seconds. I made it into my home and ate something immediately. I found out later that my doctor had been overmedicating me. Every time I saw her, I kept telling her she has given me too much meds. But she wouldn't listen. She also refused to run an A1c on me.

Today, I control it by diet alone. And have for a number of years now. So I think I can handle at least one half of a Twix.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I found out later that my doctor had been overmedicating me. Every time I saw her, I kept telling her she has given me too much meds. But she wouldn't listen. She also refused to run an A1c on me.

Today, I control it by diet alone. And have for a number of years now. So I think I can handle at least one half of a Twix.
Hopefully you switched doctors when you found out about the overmedication. I've tried handling mine with just d&e, but just kept getting worse - then got sick and it went to heck in a handbasket.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Hopefully you switched doctors when you found out about the overmedication. I've tried handling mine with just d&e, but just kept getting worse - then got sick and it went to heck in a handbasket.
In a heartbeat. I almost loss my leg because of the neglect of her not caring for a wound that she caused. But I am fine today. My A1c hovers around 6.0/5.9 which is not that bad. All is well today.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My favorite candy bar is a Mounds Bar.

I also love mounds but last year bought one of these - I am hooked. Less sugar, more chocolate. They are sold at my local grocery - fabulous: OCHO Coconut Bar - OCHO
The nutritional info reveals that it's substantially less evil than a mounds bar and frankly it just tastes better.

I noted that amazon carries a bite size version: https://www.amazon.com/OCHO-Mini-Coc...NHRYM36RZGSKZ7

Tags
candy