"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, fresh Fava Beans will work...along with a nice Chianti.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairygirl69 View Post
I would think fava beans would be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Thanks. I've tried recipes for succotash before and they have been less than exciting but this one looks very promising.

Off to the shops tomorrow morning to pick up some frozen beans.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Thanks. I've tried recipes for succotash before and they have been less than exciting but this one looks very promising.

Off to the shops tomorrow morning to pick up some frozen beans.
Happy eating. BTW, succotash was one of the first dishes the Native Americans taught the Pilgrims to make back in 1620 when they first land here in our Plymouth.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #44
Sous Chef

My Mom was a wonderful cook, but her succotash was...well...disappointing. It had milk, big fat dry lima beans, yellow corn and that was IT.

Then one year, Dad discovered soybeans and I haven't touched succotash since. But I might get this recipe a try!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
My Mom was a wonderful cook, but her succotash was...well...disappointing. It had milk, big fat dry lima beans, yellow corn and that was IT.

Then one year, Dad discovered soybeans and I haven't touched succotash since. But I might get this recipe a try!
Your mother probably used dried beans. No wonder you didn't like it. You have to use fresh or even canned if you can't find the fresh or frozen ones. Made with cream or even half and half makes it taste so rich.

Half and half, fresh or frozen lima beans, fresh or frozen corn with salt and pepper and you think you are having a king's feast.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Your mother probably used dried beans. No wonder you didn't like it. You have to use fresh or even canned if you can't find the fresh or frozen ones. Made with cream or even half and half makes it taste so rich.

Half and half, fresh or frozen lima beans, fresh or frozen corn with salt and pepper and you think you are having a king's feast.
I think you're right. I'll try it! Thanks, Addie.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes, fresh Fava Beans will work...along with a nice Chianti.
Don't forget the liver...

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

The recipes I've tried have involved dried beans and no cream so that was probably why I didn't take to it.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dried limas have a very different taste and texture from the fresh ones.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Dried limas have a very different taste and texture from the fresh ones.
As far as I am concerned, the only good use for dried lima beans is to teach kids how to grow them in a glass jar on a wet paper towel.

And yes, dried baby lima beans can be good in a long cooking soup with a smoked ham hock in the freezing cold of the winter.

Tags
cook, cookbook, recipe

A succotash recipe from my antique, out of print cookbook find I altered this recipe to what I had on hand. I also believe that it can be "veganised". It is VERY important that you buy the green lima beans from the frozen vegetable section. Otherwise you won't get the same result and a much inferior dish. The recipe is meant for fresh vegetables but I have yet to find fresh green lima beans. Lima Bean And Corn Succotash 2 cups lima beans (I used two packages frozen green lima beans) 1 T sugar 1 t pepper (I used black) 3 T butter (a vegan substitute can be made here) 3 cups raw corn kernels (about two drained cans or two regular frozen packs) I used canned bc that's what I had available. I think fresh cut or frozen would be tastier. 1 t salt (I prefer sea salt) 1/4 c milk or cream (I used 2% milk bc that's what I had on hand but next time I'll use whole milk). A vegan substitute can be made here 1 t grated onion or onion juice. I used dry onion powder. NOT onion salt. Combine ingredients in a sauce pan. Let simmer slowly 20 minutes and serve. Yields six servings as a side dish but I think it's good enough for a main dish. 3 stars 1 reviews