"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i thought we already ate all of the vegans here.

j/k, welcome bethsy.

please take a seat in the walk-in.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #12
Head Chef

Me and my family have been vegetarians the past 20 years. Not vegans, so we eat eggs, dairy... Not overly health conscious, so we are not limited to tofu and sprouts :) anyway, I do a lot of cooking, only problem is , most is not by recipes, but just by memory and experimentation and by whatever i have in the house or is in the garden at the time. But, id love to share in anyway what i can

larry

Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Hi everyone. I am NYBrit's wife and I am a vegetarian and have been for about 13-14 years. I became a vegetarian because of my love for animals.

Believe me, I love my dairy and CHEESE and therefore I couldn't become a vegan. I don't eat regular eggs, (if I can help it), I use the frozen egg whites.

One way I have my proteins is I make brown rice and mix in the lentils with vegetables soup. I add all my seasonings and it tastes great! Even my non vegetarian husband loves it!

Another 'secret' recipe is I make my own Bolognase Italian tomato sauce (gravy). (Yep I rather call it 'gravy' since I am Italian!) After mixing in my seasonings including a bit of grated cheese, I add peas and crumbled up veggie burgers (as meat substitute). One time I even fooled my husband - he thought I made him a special meat sauce!

I definetly don't miss meat (or chicken or fish for that matter) and would love it if everyone became a vegetarian! But, that doesn't mean I can't or won't cook meat for my husband.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hey hey,
I am a full vegetarian. I eat nothing with a head or that once had a head. I am not a vegan. I love cheese more then life itself (Holla NYBrit!!). Most of all i live for a nice soft goats cheese *swoon*
Tofu is so misunderstood. There is so much stigma surrounding the stuff. In truth it's not ment to be eaten plain. It's a meat substitute that is wonderful marinated. It's like a sponge with flavours.
This is Sanitarium..

Sanitarium - Vegetarian Foods

I think it may be an Australian company but check out some of there products as they are A grade wonderful.

I have the best recipe for Butter Chickpeas at home. You can not go wrong with it and it tastes just like a bought one. I swear. Will post it tonight.... in the mean time i hope you are all well.

Bethsy.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

by-the-by.... i have tried human flesh flavoured tofu Buckytom and i rather enjoyed it. my vegetarianism is not carved in stone you know... :P
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethsy
Hey hey,
I am a full vegetarian. I eat nothing with a head or that once had a head. I am not a vegan. I love cheese more then life itself (Holla NYBrit!!). Most of all i live for a nice soft goats cheese *swoon*
Tofu is so misunderstood. There is so much stigma surrounding the stuff. In truth it's not ment to be eaten plain. It's a meat substitute that is wonderful marinated. It's like a sponge with flavours.

Bethsy.
I suppose I'm like you, Bethsy. I cook vegetarian food, always on the lookout for new options, drive my family mad and hate to have the same meal twice a week.

My "speciality", if you could describe it as such, is Indian food. All across India, from Kashmir to Bangalore to Rajasthan to Delhi to Hyderabad to Kerala. Love the stuff.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Not veg or vegan, but have friends who are and always enjoy the challenge of creating fine meals for them when we get together. Also am interested in recipes.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I am not vegan or vegetarian, however, my choice of foods is mainly vegetables and fruits. My body reacts better to these foods more than others. I too would like to see some recipes.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
Master Chef

I already posted this over on the "Creamed Mushroom" thread, but thought you all on this thread might enjoy it as well. This is one of my favorite mushroom recipes that I've adapted & tweaked over the years from The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two. It's good & substantial enough to satisfy meat-eaters as well, thus makes a terrific dish for mixed company of both vegetarians & non-vegetarians. Good crusty bread & a big mixed green salad are all you need to make this a wonderful meal.

Mushroom Stroganoff (adapted from The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two)

1/4# fresh Shitake mushrooms
1/4# fresh Oyster mushrooms
1/4# fresh Cremini mushrooms
1/2# fresh White Button mushrooms
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
Pinch of dried thyme
Salt to taste
Fresh-ground black pepper
1=1/4 cup chicken broth
8-ounce container sour cream
2 tablespoons brandy
1/4-cup dry sherry
1# or so of wide egg noodles
2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Butter to toss with egg noodles

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain, & toss with a few tablespoons of butter & the poppyseeds. Cover & set aside.

Wash the mushrooms thoroughly under running water, trim, (removing any tough stems), & slice thickly. In a large skillet, saute onion in the 4 tablespoons butter until transparent, then add mushrooms & continue cooking until they have released their excess moisture & it's starting to evaporate. Add thyme, chicken broth, & 3 tablespoons of the sour cream, lower heat, & simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add brandy, sherry, salt & pepper to taste, & the rest of the sour cream, stirring gently just until sour cream is heated thru. Do not overheat or sauce will curdle, but this is just an appearance issue & won't affect the taste. Taste & correct seasoning if necessary.

Serve over noodles. Although the sour cream "might" curdle a little, leftovers are just as tasty nuked in the microwave for lunch the next day.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

What is Santiarium?
I was always categorized as a picky or fussy eater. I couldn't stand meat as a child. Once I got married I transended into being a Vegetarian, but my husband is not (fishing enthusiast). I love coming up with new and creative dishes to share with my husband and his family.

Michelle

Tags
None