Breading your vegetables or hands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pareve foods are: Eggs, grains, fish, vegetables and fruits ..

Eggs are not considered dairy ..

Last edited:
Breading:

I create 3 dishes as well and use thongs for the dusting / dipping and dredging processes of breading.

I bought three dedicated pans for the purpose and use tongs.
Works for me.

I use three paper bowls, and throw them away after my breading. It is one of the few things I use paper plates/bowls for. I use throw-away stuff for anything that I know is going to be really messy. I love to cook and love to eat -- I hate cleaning.

CD

I use three paper bowls, and throw them away after my breading. It is one of the few things I use paper plates/bowls for. I use throw-away stuff for anything that I know is going to be really messy. I love to cook and love to eat -- I hate cleaning.

CD

Join the club friend. I only have regular small plates big enough for a sandwich. Then it is large dinner plates. So I buy luncheon size paper plates to encourage portion control on what we both eat. Me for diabetes, and Pirate for weight issues. But those bowl and plates come in handy for a lot of other purposes though.

Charlie when you are breading your food, like a veal cutlet or a vegetable with flour, egg and breadcrumbs. You dip the food in the flour first, with just one hand, while you keep the other hand out of the way. Then you take it out of the flour and dip it in the egg, and repeat for the breadcrumbs. All the time using one hand to handle the food, while the other hand stays clean for frying.

That is how it is supposed to be done. But most people start out with that intention and end up using both hands. When they are done with the breading, they have as much egg and bread on both hands as there is on the food. It is an art to keep one hand clean. Not as easy as it sounds.

Got it. Thank you.
I use fork. ;)

I recently breaded eggplant. It was a LOT! So I needed something big enough to hold eight eggs. I got out my three pie plates and the one made for a deep dish pie, served for the eggs. But as a rule, I use the paper plates or bowls.

For years saucers and pie plates worked just fine for me. I'd seen the triple-type breading pans in catalogues, etc. and poo pooed them. Thought they were a waste of money until...yep. Saw a set at Goodwill for 50 cents and bought them. They are plastic and look just like these.

I love them and am double surprised how nice a job they do. There's something about the shape of them and the depth that makes them work very well. I'm a believer now.

With my trusty pigtail turner and these little gems, I don't have any more issues with the dreaded "breading hands/fingers."

For years saucers and pie plates worked just fine for me. I'd seen the triple-type breading pans in catalogues, etc. and poo pooed them. Thought they were a waste of money until...yep. Saw a set at Goodwill for 50 cents and bought them. They are plastic and look just like these.

I love them and am double surprised how nice a job they do. There's something about the shape of them and the depth that makes them work very well. I'm a believer now.

With my trusty pigtail turner and these little gems, I don't have any more issues with the dreaded "breading hands/fingers."

That's exactly what I have Katie, and although I rarely bread anything, there really is something to be said for having just the right tool for the job. For one thing, they never make a mess on the counter because of the shape and depth. I really have to look into your pigtail turner, as you've mentioned so often. :pig:;)

Pig tail turner....

I had one years ago... I need another...

Ross

A little off topic, but we have two of the pigtail turners. A large one for the outdoor grill and the smaller one for the kitchen. I can't tell you how many times a week the little guy gets used. So much so that there's a dedicated place near the stove/prep area for it. It's great for turning bacon, frying green tomatoes, so many things.

When you are breading, do you do the

One hand dry
The other hand wet method.

Or do you just jump in and get the job done! Worry about the messy hands later.

I am in the middle of breading three eggplants. Sorry I ever started. After that I have three pork chops that have been marinating in a soy sauce liquid since last night.
Wet hand- dry hand method for me on the rare occasions I need to

I don't do either. I use a pigtail turner that has freed me from the dreaded breading fingers. It does all the picking up and breading for me. I simply poke the turner into the targeted food, dip, dunk or whatever and slip it off the turner. Haven't had any breading issues since I began using my handy little piggy.

I have never heard of a pigtail turner before so I looked it up...what a great idea!

I have never heard of a pigtail turner before so I looked it up...what a great idea!

Pigtails are great for using at a BBQ or in a commercial kitchen for the man/girl on the grill. A few Christmas's ago, I bought my SIL one. I had to teach him how to use it. At first he thought it was a joke present.

What is it that makes the pig tail turner so useful?

The end is curled like a pigs. The point of it is very pointed and sharp. You hold it in your hand and bring the point down on the steak or other piece of meat. It grabs the meat and it is much easier to turn it. If you are BBQing, you don't have to stand so close to the heat of the grill, and turning meat, whether in the kitchen or in the yard, it is a great piece of equipment to have for flipping meat.

When you are standing at the grill out in the yard, and there is a lot of meat on the grate, you can flip all of them in less than a minute. Once my SIL learned to use it, now it is his favorite toy.

Not only is it easy to grab the object, it also lets it go with an opposite twist of the wrist. I would love to get one too. Google them taxy they're neat!

Back
Top Bottom