"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Broccoli leaves.... YUM!!

I had broccoli leaves galore.. First time growing broccoli.. It didn't go so well because of the heat.. I'll wait till fall to try my hand at it again.... I par- boiled them then drained... Made up my seasonings ( basil, white pepper, minced garlic w/ juice, Italian seasonings). Mixed all that with olive oil and chicken/ beef stock... I added chopped mushrooms and scallions.. Poured my mixture over the top of my greens in a baking dish.. Preheated the oven to 400 degrees... Cooked for about 1/2 hour-40 min... Added parmesan cheese on top... It was great...I also cooked up some whole wheat penne to go along side... Needless to say I ate way more than I should have... I am now motionless on the couch watching tv and don't plan to move. Well maybe for a bit of lemon raspberry sherbet....8)

Old 08-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Master Chef

Sounds good Kristi! Welcome to DC :)
I shred broccoli and cauliflower leaves and cook with other greens or add them to soups. They are good!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hi Kristi, Welcome to DC

Josie
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the welcomes.. I love to cook and grow my own veggies.... I'm so glad I found this ap.. Still having a tough time navigating but I'll figure it out.. I'm trying to put my picture on but it will only let me browse the web and not my phone pics.. I'll get on the pc and should be able to do it there... I'll get back with my success which will hopefully be a pic!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Welcome, Kristi! Sorry, I can't help with the phone problems. I can barely operate a rotary dial phone.

I was wondering, do the broccoli leaves need to be cooked or could you make slaw out of them?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Wow, I've eaten beet leaves (cooked, like Swiss chard) but I had no idea broccoli leaves are good too!! Thanks for the tip! Here is one for you: take the thick stems and cut off the green peel, leaving the crisp white core. It tastes like kohlrabi :) Great for munching
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Great!! Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome
Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Wow, I've eaten beet leaves (cooked, like Swiss chard) but I had no idea broccoli leaves are good too!! Thanks for the tip! Here is one for you: take the thick stems and cut off the green peel, leaving the crisp white core. It tastes like kohlrabi :) Great for munching
You can do the same with cauliflower stems. Radish greens are also good steamed and served with lemon butter and salt and pepper.

The skins from a healthy young hubbard squash can be peeled thickly chopped and boiled till tender with one chopped onion and a few potatoes and mashed with butter, milk salt and pepper like you would make regular mash and makes a tasty side dish.

The leaves from carrots can be used in soup to add flavour as you would use parsley in soups. The flavour can be strong so use sparingly.

Nasturtium leaves and flowers are great in salad or on sandwiches. They have a peppery flavour similar to rocket. The fresh seeds can be pickled and used like capers.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13

You can do the same with cauliflower stems. Radish greens are also good steamed and served with lemon butter and salt and pepper.

The skins from a healthy young hubbard squash can be peeled thickly chopped and boiled till tender with one chopped onion and a few potatoes and mashed with butter, milk salt and pepper like you would make regular mash and makes a tasty side dish.

The leaves from carrots can be used in soup to add flavour as you would use parsley in soups. The flavour can be strong so use sparingly.

Nasturtium leaves and flowers are great in salad or on sandwiches. They have a peppery flavour similar to rocket. The fresh seeds can be pickled and used like capers.
What is nasturtium?.. Ive never heard of it..

Tags
broccoli