"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

Oh, don't get me wrong - I agree, & I cook with it a lot. But price-wise, at least around here, I would never classify it as an inexpensive veggie choice, especially in today's economy. Plus, you can't equate "per bunch" prices with "per pound" prices.

I love to cook with white asparagus too, but it runs around the same price as Broccolini here if one were putting it on a "per pound" basis, so thus gets relegated to the "expensive" veggie catagory on my shopping list as well.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Head Chef

I just looked at the receipt from my Von's shopping last Friday. The Broccolini was on sale for $1.99 a bunch for "club" members (frequent shoppers). For that we had two very large servings, about 8 or 9 stalks each (we had only salmon and a small serving of bread with it). That's a buck a serving.

I also bought a small head of cauliflower on Friday, which was 1.99 per pound (not on sale). It weighed 2.06 pounds, so the total cost was $4.10. I find that of a head of cauliflower is enough for me and my wife for one meal, so a head gives me 4 servings. Gee! That's a buck a serving, too!

In any case, fresh veggies are relatively cheap compared to other things most of us eat. Even the relatively expensive varieties are generally a good deal, particularly considering the nutritional value they provide. It's a bonus that things like Broccolini also taste good.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

I agree that the price of cauliflower has gotten outrageous. Back in NY we used to hit all the east-end Long Island farm stands in the fall & would get fresh-from-the-field heads of cauliflower for $.25 to $.75 per HEAD, depending on size.

Here in VA, they also sell cauliflower by the head instead of by the pound, but the price can run as high as $3.99 each, which is ridiculous. I try to hold out until it's on sale, which usually drops the price down to $2.00/$2.50 a head, or I'll buy a purple or orange ("Cheddar") variety to at least feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck - lol!

And while I've grown my own broccoli before (delicious!), cauliflower just doesn't do well in VA. Both our spring & fall seasons are just too warm & too short, & the humidity is a killer.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Broccolini is not readilly available in my neighborhood in Brooklyn.

I'm sure I could find it in Manhattan - had it once or twice and liked it.
Agree that it is pricey.

I cook a lot of gai-lan - 'Chinese' Broccoli - the stalks are
bittersweet (which I like) - I blanch it and also cook in Microwave.
Serve with Oyster Sauce - Yum !
Old 03-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Master Chef

I like Gai Lan too! Except for ethnic markets, which are a bit farther away than I normally travel for weekly marketing, a somewhat local Harris Teeter supermarket carries it regularly & I really enjoy adding it to Asian stirfries or tossing it with sliced hot sausages, etc., etc. It's sort of like a milder version of Broccoli Raab (aka rapini), another veggie favorite of mine. I'm thinking of trying to grow Gai-Lan in the garden if my sowings of Broccoli Raab turn out well.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
Head Chef

I like rapini (broccoli rabe), too. Not everyone's cup of tea as it can be slightly bitter, but it's great sauteed in olive oil with a lot of garlic, some crushed red pepper, and lemon.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
Master Chef

Oh I adore Broccoli Raab & use it often. In fact, I bought seeds of several different European varieties from "Seeds of Italy" to try in the garden this year. Most folks don't realize that there are different varieties of it (same with Arugula) outside of what they can buy at their supermarket. And relatively easy to grow.

While I find it a bit intense as a vegetable on its own, I do love it sauteed with shrimp or sliced sausage, extra virgin olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, chopped garlic, etc., & served over pasta. And in fact, we enjoyed a bunch just this past week in this fashion:

Chicken, Feta, & Broccoli Raab on Toast
(adapted from "Eating Well" magazine)
Serves 2

4 slices of frozen "Texas toast", toasted
Approx. 12 cloves roughly chopped garlic
extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise into 1" pieces
1 bunch broccoli rabe, heavy stems removed & discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces
Approx. 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat a couple of dollops of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through & no longer pink in the middle. Remove to a bowl & set aside.

Add a little more oil to the pan, add broccoli rabe, & cook, stirring often, until bright green and just wilted. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not brown, about a minute or so. Stir in tomatoes, vinegar, salt, peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are beginning to break down, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken and any juices in the bowl back to the pan, add feta cheese and stir to combine. Cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.

Place 2 slices of toast on each plate, spoon chicken mixture atop toast, & serve.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Head Chef

Sounds good to me!

I envy your garden.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I have never heard of broccolini. I wonder if it is available here. Who am I kidding. I don't do the shopping and my husband is a staple purchaser - broccoli and cauliflower are a must. I will make sure that he looks for it this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
Master Chef

Broccolini is most commonly sold in small rubber-banded bunches in the produce section with other "exotic" veggies (although recently I bought some packaged in a plastic clamshell container at a Whole Foods market). Markets make a point of not displaying it anywhere near regular broccoli because they don't want folks comparing regular broccoli at $1.00 a pound versus Broccolini at $2.99 for a 6-ounce bunch - lol!!

Just as with regular broccoli, make sure to buy bunches with the florets tightly closed - not starting to flower. Broccolini is pricey enough where markets seem to be reluctant to pull it once it's past its prime.

Tags
broccolini