"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #101
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If I am going to be using raw cabbage, I always salt it lightly, and then press it to get the moisture out of it. Cabbage stays crisp that way. Even for slaw.
I discovered that secret several years ago and now I won't make them any other way...well at least until a better way comes along!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #102
Executive Chef

Just for the record, I'm totally opposed to soggy cabbage (unless it's tender). I'm totally for crispy cabbage (unless it's not tender).

The best egg rolls I ever had were when I was a kid and my dad would pick up Chinese take-out every Friday night on the way home from work, to treat our family and spare my mom from cooking dinner in the final day of the week. Those egg rolls were totally loaded with cabbage!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #103
Executive Chef

Trentino Alto Adige, Italy and Austrian Frontier

@ Historic Foodie,

Firstly, your red cabbage recipe is a highly regarded tradition in Spain during Christmas time, as well as in Trentino Alto Adige on the Austrian border, by the Adige River which flows from the Alpine, Tyrolean at Austria´s border.

They also prepare a thick thick Barley Minnestrone with cabbage onion, celery, beef stock, smoked Kieblasa sausage, carrot, barley, parsley, marjoram, rosemary and potatoes in these villages and towns in this vicinity.

We shall have to try it when we return from Porto.

Kindest.
Margi.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #104
Executive Chef

Red Cabbage Soup - Christmas in Spain

@ Historic Foodie,

It is interesting, that one of the traditional first courses of Spaniards is almost the same recipe as yours, the red cabbage soup with apple infusion.

It is also quite popular in Russia and the former Soviet states, and Austria and the Italian frontier of Trentino Alto Ridge on the Tyrolean Alps and in Slovenia.

Nice Sunday wishes.
Margi.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #105
Master Chef

In Hawaii a traditional dish (that is, when I lived there) was Portuguese Bean Soup. (Actually, then, Portuguese was pronounced Port-A-Gee, hard "G"). Its base was Portagee sausage (a smoked version, something I can't get here but Polish smoked sausage will do), onions, cabbage. Seems to me there was tomatoes and some people put in sourkraut (Hawaii can be very eclectic when it comes to food combinations!).

How funny. I just googled it and there are many versions of Hawaiian Portagee bean soup out there. Don't remember ever using pasta in it, but they all look good!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #106
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
It is interesting, that one of the traditional first courses of Spaniards is almost the same recipe as yours, the red cabbage soup with apple infusion.

I reckon there's a similar recipe to mine in most cuisines. Outside the US, red cabbage is much more popular than it is here. Mostly, in the US, it's used by folks with a central European background.

Similarly, savoyed-leaf cabbages are much more popular in Europe than they are here. Americans have been trained to believe that "cabbage" means smooth, green leaves. A real shame, when there are so many other great options.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #107
Master Chef

OK, you guys have me going. WHen my husband wakes, he will be delighted to know dinner is Portagee Bean Soup!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #108
Senior Cook

Claire, if you add a bunch of paprika (preferably smoked) you'll get closer to the flavor imparted by the linguica used in the original.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #109
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Claire, if you add a bunch of paprika (preferably smoked) you'll get closer to the flavor imparted by the linguica used in the original.
Gee, are we twins separated at birth. That was my plan! I don't have smoked paprika at the moment, but the sausage I'm using is smoked, so all should be well.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #110
Senior Cook

Gee, are we twins separated at birth

Probably not---you're much better looking then me. :>) But we might be displaced neighbors. Spent the ten longest years of my life living in McHenry, and used to hunt in your part of the world.

Tags
cabbage