"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Fat free sour cream

Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
Executive Chef

a baked potato is like a blank slate. you can go from minimalist (salt & pepper), to hog wild elaborate, building an entire meal atop your spud. my last baked potato was heaped with garlicky, buttery bella mushrooms. (that was yesterday):) i also like them with hummus and scallions. but the possibilities are endless, really....

Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

My favorite thing to serve in a bake potato is a cold shrimp salad (skagen salad)
This might seem a bit weird for those who usually think of broccoli and cheese, but is very common to do in Sweden and it's delicious! Another nice option is cold chicken curry salad in baked potato.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

At one of our tourist traps, Fanuiel Hall, there is a seller there that sells only baked potatoes with trimmings of your choice. I always stop there when I am in town. And I hate baked potatoes that have been wrapped in foil. That makes the potato steamed, not baked. This guy knows that and bakes sans foil. Nice crispy skin that has been oiled and pierced with a fork. He uses a Granny fork that has three times. I have two of those forks and love them.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I sometimes enjoy more toppings on my baked potato (like the Loaded Baked Potato at O'Charley's), but my favorite baked potato is a Russet--scrubbed, pierced, and baked (not wrapped in foil) until the skin is slightly tough and the inside is buttery smooth, and topped with a generous amount of sour cream, chives (or the green part of a green onion), a dash of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

since it would take me forever to eat a bag of potatoes, i buy the single ones wrapped in heavy plastic. microwave them in wrapping. real butter, sour cream, chives and bacon bits. once in a while sprinkled with cheddar. a meal in it's self.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I sometimes enjoy more toppings on my baked potato (like the Loaded Baked Potato at O'Charley's), but my favorite baked potato is a Russet--scrubbed, pierced, and baked (not wrapped in foil) until the skin is slightly tough and the inside is buttery smooth, and topped with a generous amount of sour cream, chives (or the green part of a green onion), a dash of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.
I love the taste of baked potato, butter and sour cream so much that I'm almost up to equal parts of sour cream to potato.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I love the taste of baked potato, butter and sour cream so much that I'm almost up to equal parts of sour cream to potato.
Me too! I have joked on here that unlike the Daisy Sour Cream commercial, where they say, "Do a dollop of Daisy," I do a wallop!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Me too! I have joked on here that unlike the Daisy Sour Cream commercial, where they say, "Do a dollop of Daisy," I do a wallop!
Potato, butter, sour cream and pepper make a fantastic flavor combination. I can make a meal of that alone. I also love to mix in some hot sausage crumbles. Maybe even add some broccoli and cheddar to it and make a meal of it all.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

my wife introduced me to the technique of baking potatoes on the bottom of the oven. actually on the floor of the oven, just opposite the broiler burners. i think her mom used to do that many years ago when they had a wood stove.

this makes a nice crispy skin, even a bit of a charred spot or two.

my first choice would be to split open and add sour cream mixed with fresh garlic chives.

another fave is to simply slice into chunks so each piece has a bit of skin, and then sprinkle with seasoned salt.

finally, i like what i call a "french dipped" baked spud. that is to split open and smear with butter, sprinkle with a lot of black pepper, then drizzle in some hot beef stock and drippings, or au jus, mashing it into the flesh.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dressing