A warning about foil baked potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never liked sweet potato fries or chips because they always seem to have a burnt aftertaste.

I've never had Sweet Potato fries - just never appealed to me.

I was only making the chips to try doing them in the micro. Regular potatoes worked just fine. Had to try it once - and it was the last time!

yup. "sweet potato fries" have such an alluring ring to them . . .
and I have yet to experience any which were really good, and not just a "I'm weird and here's my sweet potato fries."

lov' a good boiled/baked sweet potato - but they just don't seem to do fries or chips well . . .

The only time I actually enjoyed sweet potato was in a Chinese resto. They had been shaped into a lattice work basket for some dish in a "bird's nest". The dish was very good, but that deep fried basket was crispy and yummy and very moreish.

But Hasselback Sweet Potatoes work great.
DSCN4787.JPG
DSCN4778.JPG

LOL, I did both regular and sweet at the same time. Enjoyed them both and would do it again for special occasions. But the hassle to make hasselback is not for everyday. ...as you can see from the dates on the pics. :LOL:

DSCN4780.JPG

The only time I actually enjoyed sweet potato was in a Chinese resto. They had been shaped into a lattice work basket for some dish in a "bird's nest". The dish was very good, but that deep fried basket was crispy and yummy and very moreish.
I've never met a sweet potato (or yam) in any form that I liked. That sounds interesting. What did they put in the basket, nothing?

I've never met a sweet potato (or yam) in any form that I liked. That sounds interesting. What did they put in the basket, nothing?
It was a very long time ago. I think it was a variety of stir fried vegis and meats and shell fish that was inside the "bird's nest"/basket. The stuff inside the basket was also very good.

Oh, I forgot and the Chinese basket reminded, a Japanese restaurant either spiralizes or thinly slices sweet potatoes, tempura batters, then fries, as part of a shrimp tempura appetizer. I do like them that way. The other vegetables used are zucchini and jelliw squash.

Now I've never baked potatoes in foil before, so maybe I did something wrong.

I found a recipe for Potatoes Romanov which involves wrapping the potatoes in foil and then poking them with a knife or fork so they don't explode in the oven (normally I just poke the potato with a fork and bake it in the oven without foil.

Problem is/was you were making Potatoes Romanov. Can't expect much good from those "russkies". ;) The moment I started reading that you were pocking potatoes thru foil, I knew you were going to have foil pieces inside potato.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom