Eggplant meal suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to the lasagna idea - Try using grilled eggplant slices interlaced with the pasta.

Next idea - pressed sandwiches.

Grill 1/3 inch rounds of eggplant. Grill and peel red peppers.
Using a round loaf of crispy french style bread - slice it crossways in half and pull out some of the center soft bread. Broil the inside of the 2 halves to toast. Brush loaf halves with pesto then layer in ingredients:

Grilled eggplant, smoked provolone slices, sliced fresh mozzarella, grilled peeled red peppers, chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Season with cracked pepper, a little garlic and anything else you like - I like chopped rosemary. Wrap the big round sandwich in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge with a weight on top. Several heavy cans or a couple of bricks. Let it press for several hours.

To serve - cut in wedges and serve it with a toasted garbanzo salad and some chips.

Salad: toast garbanzo beans, pine nuts and a little sliced onion in a oiled (olive) frying pan. Remove from heat and add lemon juice, a large handful of chopped parsley, salt and pepper and some chopped cucumber. Serve over a bed of arugula.

Last edited:
One more - can you tell I like eggplant??

Pasta and eggplant w. tomato/dill sauce.

Make sauce:
Heat plain tomato sauce in pan with some dill, garlic and cracked pepper - heavy on the dill. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 C sour cream. Set aside.

Cook some interesting bite sized pasta - rotini or farfalle and set aside.

Sear: Cubed eggplant, some mushrooms (use interesting ones if you have 'em) and onion. Add a can of drained white beans, chopped capers, parsley, a little red pepper flake and some diced garlic; fully heat.

Build the dish in a soup plate: Sauce on the bottom, add pasta, top with eggplant mixture. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve.

Dont worry guys/ gals, Ive been a veggie for 20 + years, so i can adapt just about any meat dish into a veggie dish. I think thats one of the reasons i like to cook, is for the challenge. Im going with the moussaka idea first, since thats what i saw yesterday, But, there are so many others id like to try from this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Greek eggplant salad or what is it name sltan Obalduy (completely made this one up) cannot remember the real name.

'sokay, Charlie! Greek Eggplant Salad is "Melitzanosalata."

I don't have my recipe on this computer, but it is one of my favorite summer foods. It qualifies as vegetarian if one is a lacto-ovo vegetarian, because there are eggs and feta in it. I'll be glad to post it later. :)

Not a main dish - but still a fun eggplant thing:

Eggplant phyllo appetizers

Slice eggplant in to 1/2 inch rounds and grill with olive oil. Season with garlic pwdr and soy sauce while grilling.

Once grilled, cut rounds into halves or quarters.
Roll 1 or 2 pieces (stacked) along with a small chunk of feta cheese in a 1/4 sheet strip of phyllo dough that has been been brushed w/butter. You can do a roll or a packet - but make sure the ends are closed.

Bake at 350 till lightly brown. You an eat plain or serve with a yogurt dipping sauce.

'sokay, Charlie! Greek Eggplant Salad is "Melitzanosalata."

I don't have my recipe on this computer, but it is one of my favorite summer foods. It qualifies as vegetarian if one is a lacto-ovo vegetarian, because there are eggs and feta in it. I'll be glad to post it later. :)
Please post, I adore eggplant and would love to make this for a Sunday get together.
kades

Back
Top Bottom