Assistant Cook

Eggplant Parmesan rolls

a quick vegetable recipe from Italy

Ingredients for 6 rolls:

-1 big eggplant
-tomato sauce
-1/4 onion
-6 slices ham
-6 slices cheese (dry mozzarella is better)
-bread crumbs
-grated parmesan cheese
-olive oil
-salt

directions for tomato sauce:
put 2 olive oil tablespoons in a pot with chopped onion and warm up until it is golden brown.
add tomato sauce and a little bit salt and cook it about 30 minutes

directions for the rolls:
cut the eggplant in 6 slices about 1/4 inch thick, salt lightly and leave in a colander to drain away the water for about 30 minutes.
grill the eggplant slices in a hot pan until they're soft (3-4 minutes for side).
leave from fire an let them cool.
when they're cold put 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese on every single eggplant slice , roll up each slice and stop with a toothstick.
put the rolls in a casserole, cover with tomato sauce and sprinkle with grated parmesan and bread crumbs.
bake in a preheated static oven at 390F for 10 minutes

here they are

buon appetito

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140627_192747.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	21496  

Old 07-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Looks excellent. What type of ham are you using? Can you use proscuitto crudo or should it be proscuitto cotto?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I used prosciutto cotto but you can use either. ... if you want to use crudo remember it is a little bit salty...so use less salt for the sauce

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Eggplant has to be my favorite veggie. The problem that my daughter and I share is that when we are preparing eggplant, none make it to the final dish. As fast as we fry them, they are in our tummy. I think we should buy one extra eggplant, prepare them, eat them until we are full, and then repeat with the rest of the eggplants. Maybe, just maybe, they will make it to the final dish. It is pretty sad when there are four or five people sitting at the dinner table and only two rolls are in the dish.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

:D addie you need a huge eggplant! !!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubatora View Post
:D addie you need a huge eggplant! !!

Every time I go to an Italian restaurant, I order eggplant parm. It is very hard to make a bad eggplant anything. I am not to fond of lasagna as I don't care for the ricotta. If they would put less in it, I would eat it.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Every time I go to an Italian restaurant, I order eggplant parm. It is very hard to make a bad eggplant anything. I am not to fond of lasagna as I don't care for the ricotta. If they would put less in it, I would eat it.
sorry Addie...my english is not so good.. I did not understand... do you use ricotta into lasagna in US?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubatora View Post
sorry Addie...my English is not so good.. I did not understand... do you use ricotta into lasagna in US?
Yes. The standard way is a thin layer of sauce, lasagna, ricotta, a layer of small meatballs, (sometimes) then another layer of sauce. Repeat to the top of the pan, bake. Each person has their own way of what they put for layers. But ricotta is pretty much the standard cheese that we use in the U.S. We also put parm. cheese on the top. Some will put dry mozzarella in it for the melting. Each person their own preference. Sometimes they make a vegetable lasagna. No meat at all. For that spinach is the main vegetable with ricotta.

And your English is just fine.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I also do not like ricotta. The usual way it's made here in the US is with lots of ricotta. Luca Lazarri, a DC member from Italy shared a lasagna recipe with no ricotta and I make it regularly.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

sorry guys but I think to put ricotta into lasagna is a homicide!
I make it with bolognese sauce, besciamella, ham (cotto) (what's the word for cotto ham?)
a lot of parm cheese and dry mozzarella or sottilette (do you know sottilette?they are cheese slices)

Tags
egg, eggplant, parmesan, recipe, rolls

Eggplant Parmesan rolls a quick vegetable recipe from Italy Ingredients for 6 rolls: -1 big eggplant -tomato sauce -1/4 onion -6 slices ham -6 slices cheese (dry mozzarella is better) -bread crumbs -grated parmesan cheese -olive oil -salt directions for tomato sauce: put 2 olive oil tablespoons in a pot with chopped onion and warm up until it is golden brown. add tomato sauce and a little bit salt and cook it about 30 minutes directions for the rolls: cut the eggplant in 6 slices about 1/4 inch thick, salt lightly and leave in a colander to drain away the water for about 30 minutes. grill the eggplant slices in a hot pan until they're soft (3-4 minutes for side). leave from fire an let them cool. when they're cold put 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese on every single eggplant slice , roll up each slice and stop with a toothstick. put the rolls in a casserole, cover with tomato sauce and sprinkle with grated parmesan and bread crumbs. bake in a preheated static oven at 390F for 10 minutes here they are buon appetito:yum: 3 stars 1 reviews