"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook
My wife and I make a lo-calorie/lo-fat twist on fried green tomatoes: broil them! Thin-slice the tomatoes, spray both sides of the tomatoes liberally with your choice of cooking spray, (we use our own olive oil pump sprayer) dredge through corn meal with a little parmesan cheese mixed in and place on a cookie sheet which goes into the oven right under the broiler. When the tomatoes begin to bubble and scorch slightly, flip them over and repeat. Remove and add a little S & P. This works great and is less messy or oily.

chiklitmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Fried is good, yes? Also, thank you for the other suggestions. You are a clever lot aren't you? You never disappoint xx
Fried is excellent! A restaurant near us used to serve them in a stack alternating with goat cheese rounds and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Oh, so good!

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Fried is excellent! A restaurant near us used to serve them in a stack alternating with goat cheese rounds and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Oh, so good!
Seeing as how tomato season sort of skipped us, I am looking at a lot of green tomatoes. This sounds excellent, as does the soup. And, I "fry" eggplant in the oven, so will take the broiled tomato technique, might make a reduction using one of my homemade vinegars...the raspberry is to die for...More recipes using green tomatoes?
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Fried Green tomatoes are on of the food groups in Georgia. I also bake them occassionaly, but they are not the same. Cut them up, into a zip lock bag with cornmeal and into a cast iron skillet with Veggie oil. Drain and servie with a spicy sauce. The one I make is mayo, creole mustard, garlic powder, paprika, worcestershire and the special ingredient is wasabi paste.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Thank you for that GA. I'll do that as a side dish with dinner tonight. Can't wait!

Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

green tomatoes, other, tomato, tomatoes