How do you do hash browns....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
When I make them I just shred up potatoes and a little onion, mix, and set in hot oil, breaking apart after brown enough to flip.
I'm using russets, not rinsing first. They taste GREAT, not a single complaint... but they look kinda gray inside and sorta gelatinous....

ok fine I'm all about looks. :ermm:

How do you get them perfect like a restaurant? Should I be shredding them into water first to get rid of a little starch?

I never shred mine.. just dice them up and then fry with onions and garlic.
At the very end I add butter to get them nice and brown and crispy.

I think these are really fried potatoes though...and that's not really what you're asking about so..once again please ignore me. : )

Toss the shredded potato with a little lemon juice. It will keep them from changing colour.

I never shred mine.. just dice them up and then fry with onions and garlic.
At the very end I add butter to get them nice and brown and crispy.

I think these are really fried potatoes though...and that's not really what you're asking about so..once again please ignore me. : )

I like them better that way myself.... but HE likes them shredded.

I want to make super ones for Christmas breakfast.
:angel:
So, just this once, and never again, I'll ignore you. ;)

i actually boil my potatoes whole for a bit until slightly tender. then I shreddthem.

sautee some onions, and peppers in some butter. then melt some more butter put in the potato shreds and toss. then i leave to brown. break it up. more butter and toss and cook until brown.

no one ever said it had to be healthy. I ususally make a fried egg and put it on top and break the yoke and add a bit of hot sauce and rocking good morning.

I've never mastered the art of making good ones. I've been buying the frozen pattie ones. Please don't shoot me. I will be watching all your suggestions. :ohmy::)

LOL GRK.....
the unhealthier the better for my DEAR man!

another tip I use to do is of course use plenty of fat to fry them in (I use part butter and part olive oil) I also place a heavy plate on top of them to weigh them down into the pan and LEAVE THEM ALONE for a good 5 minutes to create a nice crust....then flip and do the same to the other side adding a little more fat if needed. This will also give you a pretty presentation because it gives you a nice perfect circle....of course you can always break them up if you want.

another tip I use to do is of course use plenty of fat to fry them in (I use part butter and part olive oil) I also place a heavy plate on top of them to weigh them down into the pan and LEAVE THEM ALONE for a good 5 minutes to create a nice crust....then flip and do the same to the other side adding a little more fat if needed. This will also give you a pretty presentation because it gives you a nice perfect circle....of course you can always break them up if you want.

:) That sounds like swiss rosti I love them and they are easy to make.

Oh really....well if I made that it was purely by accident! lol I was just trying to make one large potato pancake/pie :)

I don't make them often, but when I do I try to get as much moisture out of them as possible before frying...I like the results I get with Cast Iron the best.

Uncle Bob has the secret. Shred the raw potatoes and dry them thoroughly. That includes wrapping them in a towel and twisting the towel to wring out as much moisture as possible.

That will give you a grispy brown hash brown.

Uncle Bob has the secret. Shred the raw potatoes and dry them thoroughly. That includes wrapping them in a towel and twisting the towel to wring out as much moisture as possible.

That will give you a grispy brown hash brown.

I wonder if salad spinner would do the job of drying the potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom